Author Topic: JTC Container Chassis  (Read 813 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
JTC Container Chassis
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:19 AM »
Stan's email this morning indicates the container chassis will be here soon!  Here is a quote from the email:

" We have a lot of new projects, new containers/schemes, and new accessories that will be coming to the market in the coming months. Our projects that require more hand assembled parts are tending to take a consider amount of more time to produce like the chassis which consists of 22 different hand connections. We are always in continuous contact with our factory front line managers receiving update stats regarding completion of these products. The chassis are in the final stage and will be here soon. The first release of chassis will be in 2 different 6 packs with 3 different road names in each jewel case. Each 6 pack has a MSRP of $89.95 which averages about $15 a chassis, retail price. These will be ready for immediate release upon arrival. (Email will be sent out)

JTC will continue to strive to fill the N-scale market in the areas lacking and will also embark on viable opportunities suggested by you our customers. We have heard many times, I like your product but it is too modern for me. We heard you all, and we will begin to deliver containers that date back many decades, so be on the lookout for these. Also, we will be producing a ‘back-dated’ version of the 40’ Chassis that will have the landing gear with round ‘wheels’ instead of the square ‘feet’, and decorated in earlier paint schemes (usually no conspicuity striping)."
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +528
Re: JTC Container Chassis
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
This is going to make for very expensive trucks: Trainworx tractor $25-30, JTC container $10-15, JTC chassis $15. So up to $60 for a full rig.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Wow.  What a budgetary disaster this is going to be for me.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 02:07:31 AM »
Nice, but most of my containers don't have any room for the "gooseneck". 
N Kalanaga
Be well

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 03:24:49 AM »
I was super excited about these, but then I went back to my photo and video log notes and found the vast majority of the chassis running over Tehachapi in my 1999 era were the longer versions under domestic 48' or 53' containers  :(

If JTC makes 48' container chassis in Flexi-van and APL, then I need at least thirty!

I'm hanging out for more JTC releases suitable for the late 1990s — the October container announcements look good with Triton and Maersk on my shopping list.

My top most-wanted intermodal container list is:

- P&O Nedlloyd Grey Containers with orange and blue logo (corrugated 20', 40', and 40' Hi-Cube)

- APL 48' white containers with blue vertical logotypes

- Alliance 48' Reefer Containers (the Trainworx ones are too modern for me)

- Agmark 20' Container Tanks

- JB Hunt 53' and 48' plate wall containers (are these underway with Athearn and FVM?)

- UPS 28' Containers and chassis (Athearn might have dibs on these too?)

I hope that these 40' chassis are a huge success for JTC!

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +219
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
I was super excited about these, but then I went back to my photo and video log notes and found the vast majority of the chassis running over Tehachapi in my 1999 era were the longer versions under domestic 48' or 53' containers  :(

If JTC makes 48' container chassis in Flexi-van and APL, then I need at least thirty!

Yup.  I think we can probably count on JTC for it.  My wallet will be in no hurry though.

I'm hanging out for more JTC releases suitable for the late 1990s — the October container announcements look good with Triton and Maersk on my shopping list.

Some of my existing container collection is probably gonna get sold to help pay for that.  Including some Deluxe, which will be a first.

- P&O Nedlloyd Grey Containers with orange and blue logo (corrugated 20', 40', and 40' Hi-Cube)

Try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/40ft-N-Scale-Container-1-150-Shipping-Container-40foot-Freight-Car-Model-Train/223201869236
They are *not* 1:150, check out the photo with the dimensions.  This model was sold under the Rolland Industrial name and might still be.  They have 20s too.  I've not actually bought from this listing, but I recognize the product in the photos of Hanjin, Hyundai, and Maersk.  Gonna try them out soon.

Curious what you're referring to.  Did you mean 45'?  That would be on my list.  Once had ambitions to kitbash some 48' walthers into those, very much on the back-burner.

- JB Hunt 53' and 48' plate wall containers (are these underway with Athearn and FVM?)

Yup.   :D

JaxTerminal

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:06:27 PM »
 CHASSIS PREVIEW:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

53' & 20' Chassis in Tooling process.
Yes , 45' & 48' Chassis later in 2020.

JTC-Steve

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »

Is this from your own photos and videos Tim @kiwi_bnsf or from other sources?

I'd love to see the proto-train with all those chassis on it!

FVM has shown a diagram of a Hunt specific 53' Duraplate container (might be later than '99 though) in their plans and Athearn hasn't shown anything like their HO Monon platewall yet.

Now that JTC has both 53' and 48' containers they can share tooling costs with, Hunt specific 48' - 53' boxes might be economical for them - shoot them an email with your desires Tim!
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:25:04 AM »
+1
JTC has very quickly turned into the bully who takes all my lunch money.   :D

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 04:47:56 AM »
@jagged ben thanks for the link to the Nedlloyd grey containers. I'll give them a whirl.

IU'm in the same boat — quite a few of my extensive collection of Deluxe Innovations containers are starting to be replaced this year with more accurate JTC, Atlas, and MT containers. It is certainly a great (if damn expensive) time to be a modern intermodal modeller!

The APL white containers with small vertical logos that I need look like this:

(apologies for the quality — this is from a standard def video dating to 1999).

@James Costello my notes from 1999 are based on my own spreadsheet that I have worked up over the years that lists locos, freight cars, and loads. This has been derived by logging no fewer than five DVDs, and quite a few other 1999 videos at Tehachapi, as well as countless photos. It currently sits at over three thousand cars, and two thousand loads. I'm very lucky to have video of entire trains from my exact time frame of April 1999.

I use the spreadsheet to prioritise what is common in my era, and make sure I have these covered off. It is also handy in combination with my ORERs to reign-in unnecessary spending on items that seem like they would be prototypical, but in fact were really rare or non-existent over Tehachapi.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:15:15 AM »
The APL white containers with small vertical logos that I need look like this:

Thanks Tim - sure is a good scheme for MTL for add to the list.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

JaxTerminal

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »

- Agmark 20' Container Tanks
I hope that these 40' chassis are a huge success for JTC!
Cheers
Tim

Hi Gents;

53' Chassis and 20' chassis are scheduled for Q2 2020, 48' & 45' chassis also in 2020.

Lots of 1990's suitable container schemes coming in all Sizes and varieties. Some in Q4 2019 (this Year).

P&O Nedlloyd - family of schemes are in progress. First up will be the Nedlloyd 40' Standard height container:

Agmark Tank containers -  We are looking at doing this scheme, however on the prototype photos we have, one side of the top frame is not in the design. Ours would be the Full frame version (top horizontal frame on Both sides, with Agmark schemes.

No comment on other items listed :)

We also hope (and need), the 40' Chassis to be a great success, so that we can continue the roll out of New Tooling/products. Batch One in the 6-packs are in route, Batch Two production (in 2-packs, will start very soon.

Thank You for the comments, suggestions, and support.

BR, JTC-Steve

(PS -Look for a November Surprise)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 03:08:17 PM »
A really nice feature (at least for me) is the design of the kingpin on the JTC container chassis.  I like to replace most "standard" kingpins on the trailers I have with a smaller diameter metal kingpin.  The kingpin on the JTC chassis has been designed to simplify that process.  (The Trainworx flatbed trailers have a similar design.) 

Shown below is the JTC APL chassis resting on its side to "expose" the kingpin.  Note that there is a hole in the center of the kingpin that can be used to attach a metal rod. 

I glued a small section of 0.032 inch brass rod into the hole, and once the glue had set, I filed most of the plastic away from the brass rod. 

The next photo shows that the JTC container chassis can be used with older containers, such as this one from Walthers. 

The Maersk chassis has had the plastic kingpin replaced with a brass rod, which allowed it to be pulled by a modified Atlas LNT-9000.  The "factory" hole in the fifth wheel plate on the Atlas LNT-9000 has been "plugged" and a 0.04 inch diameter hole was drilled into the center of the plug to hold the smaller kingpin more securely.

Another really cool feature of the JTC chassis is that they have metal axles which allows the JTC wheels and axles to be interchangeable with Atlas, Micro-Trains and Trainworx wheels and axles.   :D

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:12:47 PM by cfritschle »
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/