Author Topic: Question about BLW Damaged Locomotives on sale  (Read 1994 times)

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
Question about BLW Damaged Locomotives on sale
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Has anyone bought one these and successfully resurrected it ?

What kind of damage did you encounter?  How much effort was required to get it running ?

Thanks,

eja
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:02:38 AM by GaryHinshaw »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3088
Re: Question about BLW Damaged Locomotives on sale
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
I bought a GP15, motor is junk.  Put new motor in and it's fine.

Some have purchased DCC models, and all that is needed is adjusting the motor tabs (Atlas models notorious for this)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
Like the island searched for by Capt Jack Sparrow, it can only be found by those who already know where it is.....
https://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/damageddepot.htm

At least, I never found it by going through the home page.  Found it with a google search for "Brooklyn Locomotive Works damaged"
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3088
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »
Like the island searched for by Capt Jack Sparrow, it can only be found by those who already know where it is.....
https://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com/damageddepot.htm

At least, I never found it by going through the home page.  Found it with a google search for "Brooklyn Locomotive Works damaged"

I usually check out the " new at BLW " from the home page, when he updates the list it's listed there.

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:08:07 PM »
Bought a Life Like RS2 from the damaged BLW page. Motor is a bit loud, but broke it in after a while. Not a bad bargain.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »
 :|  BLW definitely have quality issues if you look at their latest refurbished sale pages. Not only are sound equipped Water Tanks and mooing Livestock Cars on there, but practically brand new GE Diesels, Mikado Steam Locomotives and yes PRR P 70 coaches. I have a feeling that BLW like Bachmann sends out a new replacement product if a customer returns it for repair/service. They then repair/refurbish them and re sell. I wonder what is up with the 2-8-2's that such a large number are already being sold as refurbished or what is up with Pennsylvania coaches. Nate Goodman.(Nato).   :|

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 04:02:14 AM »
:|  BLW definitely have quality issues if you look at their latest refurbished sale pages. Not only are sound equipped Water Tanks and mooing Livestock Cars on there, but practically brand new GE Diesels, Mikado Steam Locomotives and yes PRR P 70 coaches. I have a feeling that BLW like Bachmann sends out a new replacement product if a customer returns it for repair/service. They then repair/refurbish them and re sell. I wonder what is up with the 2-8-2's that such a large number are already being sold as refurbished or what is up with Pennsylvania coaches. Nate Goodman.(Nato).   :|

BLW is not selling anything new anymore (and hasn't been for some time).  Peter is retiring  and all you see is leftovers and close-outs.
I wonder if you are confusing BLW (Brooklyn Locomotive Works) and BLI (Broadway Limited Imports)?
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Peteski, I think a temporary brain fart confusion of BLW vs. BLI.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 01:58:18 AM »
  :oops:       Yes I meant Broadway Limited Imports , not Brooklyn Locomotives works. Nate Goodman. I also see nearly new Cryo Tank Cars on the refurbished list. Their trucks were troublesome , do the refurbished cars have better trucks?   :oops:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 02:28:56 AM »
  :oops:       Yes I meant Broadway Limited Imports , not Brooklyn Locomotives works. Nate Goodman. I also see nearly new Cryo Tank Cars on the refurbished list. Their trucks were troublesome , do the refurbished cars have better trucks?   :oops:

I bought couple of those new from MBK, and I'm not very impressed. Sure, it is an unusual prototype, and the model has oodles of added-on (um, super-glued) details, the workmanship to me is subpar.  Yes, I understand that some poor soul has to assemble dozens (or hundreds) of these per day, but to be honest, I would rather have a car with fewer glued-on details, but more cleanly built.   Especially on the black car, the white CA glue fogging/haze is present on the surface of the tank.  Yes, I can probably scrub it off, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Not sure about the trucks, but I doubt that they will have different trucks.  I don't that BLI tooled another truck for these. If they di, they woudl offer them as a fee retrofit to everybody who bought the cars.  Wouldn't they?
. . . 42 . . .