Author Topic: Scale Trains Tier 4 GEVO Volume Adjustments  (Read 1136 times)

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +26
Scale Trains Tier 4 GEVO Volume Adjustments
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »
Can anyone assist as to where I can find the Volume CV's and parameters for the N Scale Scale Trains GE Teir 4 GEVO, I just wish to adjust sounds, ie; Prime mover, horn, bell. I do not have a lokprogrammer, just wish to adjust through my NCE Power Cab.

I was unable to download from the ESU Web Site.
Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:09:46 PM by Ed Kapuscinski »

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +926
Re: Scale Trains GE Tier 4 GEVO
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
+1
Download the technical bulletin here:

http://projects.esu.eu/projects/print/90889

The various sound slots, with their CV's for volume and default volume levels are listed in the bulletin.

Note that when adjusting sound volumes, you MUST set CV31=16 and CV32=1 BEFORE you adjust the volume CV's.  If you don't do this, you will seriously screw up your decoder.

John C.

PS - you might want to edit the title of this thread to something like "Scale Trains Tier 4 GEVO Volume Adjustments?" so that it is a bit more descriptive of the question you've asked.  I almost didn't read your post, because I have no general interest in the Tier 4 GEVO,  and having a more descriptive title will help others who might be searching for this same information.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:34:17 AM by jdcolombo »

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Re: Scale Trains Tier 4 GEVO Volume Adjustments
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
Can anyone assist as to where I can find the Volume CV's and parameters for the N Scale Scale Trains GE Teir 4 GEVO, I just wish to adjust sounds, ie; Prime mover, horn, bell. I do not have a lokprogrammer, just wish to adjust through my NCE Power Cab.

I was unable to download from the ESU Web Site.
Ted (Teditor) Freeman
From the Land Down Under.

What are you using for programming? I'm using JMRI Decoder Pro.

This is how I generally mix my diesel sound volumes:

Horn: 80-100% - This should be the loudest sound from your loco, because it is the loudest sound from a loco. You can hear a loco horn from miles away but not so much the other sounds. Get it to as loud as you can without distorting.

Bell: 20-30% - You can hear a loco bell several feet away but not miles away. So set it low enough where you can hear it when it passes right in front of you but not when it's on the opposite side of the layout.

Prime Mover: This is the 2nd loudest sound from a loco, but in the 1:1 scale world, you're mainly hearing the low frequency rumble from the combined prime movers of the consist, because low-frequency sound waves travel the farthest. For N scale, unfortunately, speakers can only be so big, meaning almost no bass, and prime movers tend to sound like blow dryers. I normally set this about 30-50% of the total volume, and balance it carefully with the built-in motor sounds so the loco's motor can act as the low-frequency rumble.

Air Compressor/Dynamic Brake: Think of these as accent sounds. Set about as loud as the prime mover and adjust it a little higher so you can hear it but not so loud that it overpowers everything else (especially the horn).
Under the streets of Los Angeles

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
Re: Scale Trains Tier 4 GEVO Volume Adjustments
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »
+1
MetroRedLine - that is really practical and helpful advice - I will try this out on some of my locos tomorrow.  Thanks!