Author Topic: Atlas 40 and 53 Foot Rebuilt Well Cars Have Finally Arrived  (Read 2780 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +178
Re: Atlas 40 and 53 Foot Rebuilt Well Cars Have Finally Arrived
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »
Were the undecorated versions ever done? I was hoping to pick up 3 of them, two to paint up in the breast cancer pink versions from last year. DTTX 654811 and DTTX 475412.

Planned on using either the Kato Maxi-IV or the Deluxe Innovations for the three pack. DTTX 732301. (Sorry thread drift)

Not sure how close to the same the rebuilt 654811 version is being correct, but the 475412 is in the same number series that Atlas is offering.

DTTX 654811
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5051546

DTTX 475412
https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/7097303/931869376.jpg

DTTX 732301
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5085274

Chris

654811 is a Husky Stack, not an AP Husky Stack, and therefore not a match to the Atlas model, or any other RTR model.  You could kit bash that car out of Maxi-III wells (unfortunately not currently available from the Kato parts department) or possibly Athearn or MDC 48' Husky Stacks.  There are some details to that prototype that are interesting, such as that it appears to be a rebuilt 48ft car, and have some minor differences to production 53ft Husky Stacks.

475412 appears like it may match the Atlas model, but it's hard to tell from the partial photo.
EDIT: other cars in that range match the Atlas model (except for being rebuilt instead of production) so that looks like a go.

I'd like to see you model the handprints on 732301.   :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:11:23 AM by jagged ben »

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2019, 01:34:09 AM »
Container fittings...  I tried some I had handy.

MT 53ft can fits in the 53ft car.  This is important because I believe the MT 53ft container is oversize out of scale more than any other.  So I think all RTR 53ft containers should fit the car, although Deluxe might be tight.  JTC 53ft also fits. 

I just got mine today. I can fit Kato, Scale Trains and Deluxe easily. Atlas, ironically, was a little tricky after some finagling, but it does fit after all. The MTL did *not* fit. I compared it to a Kato and it was reasonably longer.

I noticed that the container fit in-between these "brackets" at either end of the well. I have never seen these before on the 3-unit wells (Kato and Deluxe). Are they prototypical (or are the Kato/Deluxe well cars not prototypical?)? The Athearn and MT 48' single well car doesn't have these end brackets, either.

I own 2 MTL 53' containers, one in EMP Green and another in CN (grey). Since they don't mate with any other container anyway, I'm thinking of just selling them. At least I still have the jewel box!
Under the streets of Los Angeles

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
That's interesting you got different results with the MT container. It probably reflects the quality control on the Atlas.

The plates at the ends are prototypical, and although the Kato and Deluxe models are a different prototype they have something similar.  On the Deluxe models I recall it coming as a separate part because if you have really small track radii they'll bump the wheel flanges.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
+2
I haven’t received mine yet, but a shipper did complain to TTX and the builders so loudly about the wheel splash marks on the end of the containers, they were forced to add splash guards to the end of the cars. The TTX book covers this topic.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
+1
These are exceptionally nice, solid models - thanks Atlas!!!!

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
That's interesting you got different results with the MT container. It probably reflects the quality control on the Atlas.

The plates at the ends are prototypical, and although the Kato and Deluxe models are a different prototype they have something similar.  On the Deluxe models I recall it coming as a separate part because if you have really small track radii they'll bump the wheel flanges.

I know what you're referring to, but the "brackets" on the Atlas cars come up from the bottom of the well, whereas the mudflaps hang down from the underside of the car, just outside the wells.
If you know where to find prototype pics of the brackets, please share links.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »
+1
I know what you're referring to, but the "brackets" on the Atlas cars come up from the bottom of the well, whereas the mudflaps hang down from the underside of the car, just outside the wells.
If you know where to find prototype pics of the brackets, please share links.

This is a different series (Atlas should do these, too), but you can see those brackets in this photo.

https://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=31658

EmdFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2019, 09:46:15 AM »
+4
I forgot to reserve some and have missed the boat (and I work for Atlas). All I can say is that we are discussing getting these back on the production schedule as soon as possible, we are very much aware of the demand.

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +56
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »

Did come across one missing fifth wheel plate that was not found loose in the plastic jewel-box.

While the hitch plates are removable, the two pairs of mounts that are cast into the body casting would need to be ground or filed down and the modified area would need to be touched up with a suitable color of paint.

Good news and bad news...

The good news is that MBK's splendid customer service department was able to send me a replacement factory painted fifth wheel.

Despite the existence of holes in the metal car body that accommodate the added detail parts, the bad news is that the fifth wheels appear to be glued in place.

While it does not present a major issue with regards to restoring the car that I purchased, removed from a donor car, the replacement fifth wheel that was received from MBK had no pins and plenty of glue on the bottom of it.

If you are planning on removing the fifth wheels from your TTX lettered versions, you are going to want to keep in mind that the parts are probably glued to the car body.

On a side note, reasonably priced, both the 40 and 53 foot cars have been showing up on eBay.