Author Topic: Deutsche V 200 Streifen  (Read 5330 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Deutsch V 200 Stripes
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
+1
Here are my models. Roco V200 and a TT scale V221.  I took the Roco model for a quick test run, after it sat in display case for more than 10 years, and it ran very well after a short break-in.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:03:22 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 12:30:43 AM »
Lookin' good. We are going to make the V200/221's world famous, yet!

I guess, to me, the main limitation with the Simplex coupler was it was only to uncouple the loco from the complete train. No automatic uncoupling between two cars. Still innovative, though.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »

I guess, to me, the main limitation with the Simplex coupler was it was only to uncouple the loco from the complete train. No automatic uncoupling between two cars. Still innovative, though.

That's true and you you have to think about it when this system came into the market. I think we'll talking the mid to end 1970's here.

Thomas
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
Anyone have a photo of the Simplex mechanism? How does it work?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
Anyone have a photo of the Simplex mechanism? How does it work?

Unfortunately I don't own any of those models (or even run into them anywhere). I'm curious too.
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »
I'm wondering too. Was it solenoid or just magnetic? I know earlier, they had the mechanical one where you backed the train and pulled forward and the loco coupler was leveraged up by a lever attached to the coupler.

Doug

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:06 PM »
I'm wondering too. Was it solenoid or just magnetic? I know earlier, they had the mechanical one where you backed the train and pulled forward and the loco coupler was leveraged up by a lever attached to the coupler.

Doug

I have a feeling that it is somehow coupled to the locos drive train. Probably all mechanical (so the loco's motor is powering it).

Yes, the catalog I scanned for the Simplex info also showed the other uncoupling system. That was just a lever attached to the coupler. When loco is goign forward the lever simply drags over the roadbed/ties.  I have never seen or owned one of those models either.
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 02:16:09 AM »
I'll jump on the bandwagon here also, Although Mine Technically isn't a V200, it's a BR221. From what I gathered, there isn't much difference between them.
Here is a picture of mine, on my module (under construction) with some of my Green DB coaches...
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:18:05 AM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Doug G.

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 02:53:40 AM »
I found out the noses on the 221 WERE slightly flattened. One of the headlight lenses was missing on my V200 and the other had two of the pieces which actually insert into the shell, broken off. So, I bought two from Germany, sold for the later 221. I figured it had to be close, right? I had to file the front flat and Dremel an opening for the rounded front where the bulb sits in the earlier model so the chassis would fit down into the shell.

Actually, I suspected some kind of difference as the newer model uses 0797 bulbs instead of the larger 0793 bulbs. Anyway, I got it done and all the headlights (one at the top and the other two, what we call ditch lights) work, now. Directional, even. Arnold was ahead of others with directional headlights.

You can see the slight difference in the noses in the various pictures posted of the two models, I see now. And, I tend to agree with you, Pete, that the simplex coupler was probably all mechanical since the instructions just talk about moving the loco back and forth and nothing about pushing any kind of separate button to operate the coupler or anything.

Looking at pictures again, specifically the one Pete posted along with the Simplex instructions, I wonder if the operation was about the same thing as the separate lever attached to the coupler only hidden underneath. You can see a mechanism under there on the loco and it looks like there are some pieces hanging down that would catch on the ties.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:13:06 AM by Doug G. »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 03:15:44 AM »
You can see the slight difference in the noses in the various pictures posted of the two models, I see now. And, I tend to agree with you, Pete, that the simplex coupler was probably all mechanical since the instructions just talk about moving the loco back and forth and nothing about pushing any kind of separate button to operate the coupler or anything.

Doug

If you read the text of the second catalog scan, in my earlier post, there is an option for a button-push uncoupling when using Arnold's (A S S) throttle. Somethgin to do with half-wave-rectified current making the model creep (pulse power?). The photo in that scan shows the button and a corner of the throttle "transformer".  But the loco still moves (without the need to use the throttle knob). So it still seems like Simplex is a mechanical solution.

Here is that scan again, and as a bonus, it also features Arnold's model of a V221.  :D

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:21:55 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 03:48:25 AM »
Reading what I wrote above, about the nose shapes, it doesn't make sense. If the 221 nose is flatter than the V200, I shouldn't have had to file the front of the headlight lense assembly flatter. There actually should have been space between the front of the lense and the inner shell of the V 200. So, maybe I have it backward or it's just an artifact of the models or I shouldn't post after having a couple of vodkas late at night.

:D

Doug

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
I remember that my Arnold #0201 "V-60" switcher came to me equipped with this feature. I posed a question about it on the "Railways of Germany" forum, and this link was posted:

As (I hope) you can see here, it is just a wire that contacts the inside of one of the wheels: I didn't like the "hitching" action it produced on that "active" wheel, so I removed it completely. Like all my other DB N scale engines, this old thing runs really well...

Mark in Oregon

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »
I think I posted something about Simplex either here or on the Atlas forum...

Thomas
Thomas

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
Thomas

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the Simplex info, and for the trip down the memory lane.

So the device behind the wheel is called schnecke (worm).  That that explains how  it works.  Very clever, but I can also see how it would cause the model not to run or sound smooth while running forward. And running in reverse is not an option, which is not optimal since European locos have dual cabs.

Seems like it was a not very useful gimmick which quickly faded away (and even disabled by some owners).
. . . 42 . . .