Author Topic: Paint for drinking straws?  (Read 5145 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1314
Paint for drinking straws?
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:05:58 AM »
Does anyone know of a common spray paint that will stick to drinking straws?  They're the best available N scale pipe, but so far I haven't found any paint that will stick to one. 

Acrylics, brushed on, seem to work, IF the paint completely surrounds the straw, and IF it is one of the cheap "rubbery" paints.  But that's more like shrink-wrapping than painting.

Glue isn't such a problem.  As long as the load stays together a little while, I can get the banding and blocking in place, and then the glue doesn't matter.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4521
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Paint for drinking straws?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:13:34 AM »
I have yet to find a pain which will adhere well to plastic straws.  I used Floquil, and was careful not to handle them much after painting.  I suppose that sandblasting them (with an Air Eraser) would improve paint adhesion.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:59:58 AM »
Thank you.  If you haven't found a paint, there probably isn't one.  I even tried paints designed for polycarbonate RC cars, and that didn't stick.

Clear ones can be painted on the inside, as well as the outside, so scratches don't show as badly.  But most restaurants use colored straws.  Olive Garden's black straws look like plastic pipe, and I've found a few small-diameter white ones, apparently intended as combined coffee stirrers/straws, but the others need to be painted.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4521
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 01:23:59 AM »
Thank you.  If you haven't found a paint, there probably isn't one.  I even tried paints designed for polycarbonate RC cars, and that didn't stick.

Clear ones can be painted on the inside, as well as the outside, so scratches don't show as badly.  But most restaurants use colored straws.  Olive Garden's black straws look like plastic pipe, and I've found a few small-diameter white ones, apparently intended as combined coffee stirrers/straws, but the others need to be painted.

You better hoard those straws - they will soon become a rarity (due to environmental concerns).
I found some black coffee stirrer straws somewhere too.  They came in a package with half black and half white.  IIRC, I found them in my local supermarket (hanging from one of the shelves around the coffee section with the other gadgets they hang form the shelves).
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:23:51 AM »
"they will soon become a rarity"

I've been hording them for many years!  There are more stashed here than I could ever use, and I save most of them that I get.  I don't know why, I certainly don't NEED them, but they get saved anyway.  Maybe it's because I can remember when they were new (at least to me), and something one didn't get everywhere.  I don't think they became common until the 1970s, as I recall most places having paper straws when I was little.  And I didn't eat out much until I stated working here in Kentucky, in the very late 70s.

We're more worried about plastic grocery bags.  When they're gone, what will we put used cat litter in?  Actually, they should be able to make both straws and bags from biodegradable plastics.  Neither have any reason to last once they're discarded, so if they fell apart, or, better, were eaten by something, it would be a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:26:04 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +718
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 07:54:56 AM »
Have no fear!  They are coming out with biodegradeable straws made out of plant material.  Similar to the material they use for biodegradeable forks and spoons at the National Parks.

I don't remember what store (maybe it wasn't a chain?) that had them.  The texture is not as smooth and certainly the walls are thicker but I think paint will adhere to it much easier.  They had an off white, "beigey", color and much stiffer.  It almost look and felt lilke the old fashion (thick) paper straws.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1664
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Have you tried that (automotive) adhesion promoter?

Ed

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
Ed:  No, and I wouldn't know how to apply it anyway.  Doesn't it need an airbrush?

MK:  Sounds like a great idea.  "A little thicker" won't hurt anything, as it's probably still thinner than brass or plastic tubing.  Paper straws are fine, but if one takes too long to finish the drink, they can get soggy.  Waxing them fixes that, but then they don't decompose nearly as fast, not to mention being harder to paint.
N Kalanaga
Be well

CR4100

• Crew
  • Respect: +246
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
Have you tried that (automotive) adhesion promoter?

Ed
I was thinking the same thing. It comes in a spay can so no airbrush needed. https://www.pepboys.com/dupli-color-adhesion-promoter-clear-11-oz-/product/9380437?quantity=1
The fabric of reality has begun to fray.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »
Why not use paper straws?  That should solve the problem.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 04:05:31 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. It comes in a spay can so no airbrush needed. https://www.pepboys.com/dupli-color-adhesion-promoter-clear-11-oz-/product/9380437?quantity=1

Correct. I think it etches the surface, rather than applying an actual paint layer.

I've used it on some of the 'slippery' Kato plastics and it worked well.

Ed

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 12:28:16 AM »
CR4100 and Ed:  Then I'll look into it.  Thank you!

Eja:  Because I haven't seen a paper straw anywhere I eat in decades.  I'm sure they're still made, but I wouldn't know where to look for them.
N Kalanaga
Be well

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 01:50:20 AM »
Paper straws ... bio degradable, etc.

Of course, available from Amazon .. lifetime supply perchance...

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-200-Pack-Biodegradable-Paper-Straws/dp/B07D7L5Z85?th=1

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +559
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
+1
Have you guys tried Krylon spray paints for plastics?  Supposedly, they etch the surface to promote bonding to the plastic. Of course, that probably depends on the type of plastic.  I have only used it for things like cat doors, and it stands-up well for things like that, even with exposure to the elements.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
Paper straws ... bio degradable, etc.

Of course, available from Amazon .. lifetime supply perchance...

https://www.amazon.com/Hiware-200-Pack-Biodegradable-Paper-Straws/dp/B07D7L5Z85?th=1

Those would need a pretty good primer coat or two...  :D

Ed