Author Topic: New Walthers Modern Concrete Warehouse Kit  (Read 948 times)

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
New Walthers Modern Concrete Warehouse Kit
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:11:24 PM »
Good afternoon,

I was checking my email after work, and I found a mention for this kit...

https://www.walthers.com/modern-concrete-warehouse-kit-856830

I hope that this will be a trend of bringing more of their HO Scale kits to N Scale.

Thanks,

Adam

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +94
Re: New Walthers Modern Concrete Warehouse Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »
That's a nice looking kit and it's been surely needed in N for about 20 years - I'll be in for a few.

Geez, it's even got a pretty good footprint for these types of buildings.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:38:10 PM by James Costello »
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
So the second photo in the listing would be the back - the rail dock. But there are stairs that would get in the way of the track. Am I missing something or is this a design flaw?
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
So the second photo in the listing would be the back - the rail dock. But there are stairs that would get in the way of the track. Am I missing something or is this a design flaw?

This is just on of the ultra modern buildings modeled after the tracks had been long abandoned. :) . Seriously,  though that's pretty common for sites no longer rail served.
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +749
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:18:28 PM »
This is just on of the ultra modern buildings modeled after the tracks had been long abandoned. :) . Seriously,  though that's pretty common for sites no longer rail served.
Probably some OSHA related safety issue to have an escape exit with stairs and railings.

Maybe it's meant to be just past the end of the siding, and that dock door is lined up with the last car on the siding ?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +507
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »
It's modular.  It was just built goofy.  That door could be placed elsewhere.

Jason

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:39 AM »
Definitely something I could use.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1616
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
Is this a new kit or re-pop?  I could have sworn that my friend had a warehouse just like that on his layout for several years. Unfortunately he moved to another state (the layout was dismantled).
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:44 AM »
It new, copany cal Nu Iine used to make two style of modern warehouses but not as detail as this one. I could used a few
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1616
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:25:25 AM »
It new, copany cal Nu Iine used to make two style of modern warehouses but not as detail as this one. I could used a few

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. I also seem to recall that his was made from silver colored plastic.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 03:42:53 AM »

No, you're right. Although Peter's right too, about trackage no longer in use versus a newer fire code addition to a structure, Walthers - in their HO-minded compression zealousness - could have added two more inches to building to make it plausible, but instead made a gaff that kinda is a tell-tale of what it thinks of N - no longer in service. It could have also modeled contemporary lift plates to span the 4 feet to offset the siding, but didn't.

The thing is, it's supposed to be a modern warehouse, which would have been built with proper egress codes and track clearances in consideration. So how quickly did they abandon rail service after it was built? Shouldn't Walthers be focusing on viable traffic generators for our layouts?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
Looking at both photos I have to think that the kit was built to try and show the many options possible. I've worked in a couple of this style building. The large roll up door in the photo on the left should have a concrete ramp leading up to or the ground raise up to it.  And the rear door in question could just have the steps removed and the door at ground level. Some of these buildings have a stairway leading down from the dock height to ground level inside the building. We were supposed to use these stairways as tornado shelters in case of said event. Looks like a nice kit just a little too modern for me though.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
I am hoping that the wall sections are two squares wide, that would make rearranging things much easier.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +23
    • Unnamed Switching Layout
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »

It can also be a building that was built to be able to be used for multiple things. The building I work I had a door which would be used for boxcars but there’s no rail siding and there are doors and stairs on either side. There’s also a snap on tool distributor behind us that has a single rail door and you can see where the tracks went there a long time ago but have pretty much been pulled up/buried
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1847
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
About damned time!