Author Topic: Intermountain SD45-2s???  (Read 679 times)

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +6
    • My N scale Blog
Intermountain SD45-2s???
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:01:57 PM »
So I just dropped the Chessie System and am committing to modeling the Clinchfield RR, and I saw that there were open advance reservations for four numbers of CRR SD45-2s from IM. I wasn't overjoyed with my B&O SD40-2 with sound, so went DC for these. Little did I know that they have been advertising this run since 2014? There has to be a story here. Did they advertise DCC/sound capability and couldn't deliver? I know all of N scale had the big manufacturing disruption, but that was October 2018. I emailed them and they refused to give out any hints, citing their policy of never quoting a month saying that there is no ETA. I would settle for a quarter year projection. I am prepared to be patient, but I hope I don't have to wait five years to get some road power for my hoppers like some people have. I felt a like an :ashat: when I looked back and saw the announcement was 2014...
Chessie System, Clinchfield RR and EMDs
www.clinchfieldrailroad.wordpress.com

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +767
Re: Intermountain SD45-2s???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:06:00 PM »
+1
A lot of this goes back to the whole chassis changeover for the new direct install LokSounds.  There was a lot of back and forth between the various manufacturers and ESU regarding design changes and such.  Pile on the Chinese factory shutting down has extended it even longer.  I imagine we'll get an update soon from IMRC on new release dates hopefully after factories come back online from Chinese New Year.

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +6
    • My N scale Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »
That makes the most sense. I was also told in the email to reference their "Modelers' Club" newsletter and here is what they said for February:
Chessie System, Clinchfield RR and EMDs
www.clinchfieldrailroad.wordpress.com

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »
The SD40-2 was itself delayed years as ESU changed their decoder designs. The new SD45-2 will use the same chassis as the SD40-2.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
If you set up the right eBay alerts, or otherwise watch it like a hawk, you might be able to score one from a past run.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
IM is maybe a tad faster then the glaciers, then again I'm not sure :facepalm: Basically IM has released very little in the last several years and unfortunatley all we can do is wait and hope the releases we want are in our lifetime.

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »
I've got a fear that everything I've ordered from IM will arrive in the same month.
But I really doubt it.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »
Most of what I've ordered in the past few years ended up being cancelled by IM.
N Kalanaga
Be well

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
IM is maybe a tad faster then the glaciers, then again I'm not sure :facepalm: Basically IM has released very little in the last several years and unfortunatley all we can do is wait and hope the releases we want are in our lifetime.

I don't know; with global warming those glaciers are speeding up quite a bit.

Doug W

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
+1
So I just dropped the Chessie System and am committing to modeling the Clinchfield RR, and I saw that there were open advance reservations for four numbers of CRR SD45-2s from IM. I wasn't overjoyed with my B&O SD40-2 with sound, so went DC for these. Little did I know that they have been advertising this run since 2014? There has to be a story here. Did they advertise DCC/sound capability and couldn't deliver? I know all of N scale had the big manufacturing disruption, but that was October 2018. I emailed them and they refused to give out any hints, citing their policy of never quoting a month saying that there is no ETA. I would settle for a quarter year projection. I am prepared to be patient, but I hope I don't have to wait five years to get some road power for my hoppers like some people have. I felt a like an :ashat: when I looked back and saw the announcement was 2014...

Don't hold your breath!

I also model the Clinchfield and have been waiting for these for years. I'm sure it's much longer than 5 years - probably closer to a decade. In fact, I think the second run of the 45-2s were first announced in 2010, 2011 or 2012, so 2014 was probably a re-announcement! The 40-2s came later and essentially jumped the queue.

I don't understand Intermountain's business philosophy. Whatever it is, it is not customer-focused.

Cheers
Doug

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
The first and only run of the SD45-2s was announced in spring or summer 2003! One release in over 15 years..