Author Topic: Challenge #3: Ttrak Module Challenge - Voting Starts Soon! Entries Due 6/10  (Read 13774 times)

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
Lee, when the 10th draws near, are you going to create a post that all of the entrants will post into, or are we to put our final pictures into a post in the individual threads or in this thread?
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
I'd like to have a voting thread that includes a key photo of each entry and a link to the build thread so we can have an informed electorate...  I know that's not fashionable these days, but we should be able to judge a module based on the content of its character... :)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wm3798

• Crew
Tick Tock.  As of close of business Friday, there will be only 10 days left to complete entries for Challenge #3, the TTrak Module Challenge.

We've had a couple of late entries, and a lot good stuff to vote on.  As an entrant, I'd like some assistance on how to structure the voting.  If left to me, of course, it would be one category:  "Best Module Depicting Cumberland, Maryland"  But to be fair, we'll probably have break it down a little.

My thoughts initially are:
Best Scene
Best Track Plan
Best Overall Effect
and
Best of Show

Definitely needs refinement.  Any suggestions?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Challenge #3: 90 Day Ttrak Module Challenge
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
I committed to awarding two "Winners Pick" prizes from my 3D printed offerings.  I could probably throw in a third. 

In my experience, open voting does not follow criteria very well, so I would say let everyone pick their 2 favorites from the poll and call that 1st and 2nd place.  Then perhaps @wm3798 could select one or two additional judges to come up with a more formal winner.

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

wm3798

• Crew
Thanks, Mark.
I have also been eyeballing the new TTrak caboose offered by Kato, as a prize, but so far haven't gotten a sponsor for one.  I do like keeping the voting simple...  We're up to 8 active entries, so a simple first and second prize should do.
Any additional judging should be by non-participants... We'll need some volunteers.  Any takers?  @arbomambo , @randgust , @tom mann , @learmoia , @davefoxx ,@Bueller?

Lee
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:36:25 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
I'd be up for judging..
~Ian

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
I can be impartial, so whatever I can do to help.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
As an entrant, I'd like some assistance on how to structure the voting.  If left to me, of course, it would be one category:  "Best Module Depicting Cumberland, Maryland"  But to be fair, we'll probably have break it down a little.

Best Scene
Best Track Plan
Best Overall Effect
and
Best of Show

Best lighting?

nthusiast

• Crew
  • Respect: +67
My two cents:

I suggest there be some kind of mandate on photography, like angles or views, which might make it easier to compare modules to each other. Something like one full overhead photo, one left angle, one right angle, one straight-on eye level, and then a few modeler's choice close-ups.

Might also want to have categories for single modules and multiple (double/triple) modules.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Tick Tock.  As of close of business Friday, there will be only 10 days left to complete entries for Challenge #3, the TTrak Module Challenge.

We've had a couple of late entries, and a lot good stuff to vote on.  As an entrant, I'd like some assistance on how to structure the voting.  If left to me, of course, it would be one category:  "Best Module Depicting Cumberland, Maryland"  But to be fair, we'll probably have break it down a little.

Best Scene
Best Track Plan
Best Overall Effect
and
Best of Show

Lee

My two cents:

I suggest there be some kind of mandate on photography, like angles or views, which might make it easier to compare modules to each other. Something like one full overhead photo, one left angle, one right angle, one straight-on eye level, and then a few modeler's choice close-ups.

Might also want to have categories for single modules and multiple (double/triple) modules.

IMO, this is overkill. Just vote for the one(s) you like the most, with no categories or mandates, and don't overthink it. This is supposed to be fun, not work...

wm3798

• Crew
Seven Days Left. 
If you're up against the clock, don't worry about every little detail.  Try to get as far along to be presentable as possible.
If you come up short, you should enter what you've got at the stage you've got it at.  We won't judge.  (Well, yes we will, but if your concept is sound and your execution is on par, being slightly incomplete shouldn't count against you... :D)

As for voting, we'll keep it simple.  We'll pull one representative photo from your thread to post with the voting post, and a link to your thread page where you can post up to 5 photos of your entry.  Without getting overly pedantic about it, I suggest an overview shot, whatever angles you want to show, and any particular details that you want to highlight.  Voters are welcome to scroll through your entire thread if they see fit, but put your 5 best shots into a single post at the end of your thread.

We'll make 3 votes available to all who participate, then tally up which entries collect the top two ranks overall for First and Second Prizes.  Still working out the details of what those prizes might be... Stand by for further developments.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
I’ll start the voting thread tomorrow morning, and as Lee says cap it to three per person.  Looking forward to seeing the results.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
I'm not nearly far enough along to enter, but the challenge has definitely helped keep a fire lit under my rear to keep working.