Author Topic: Altering sound decoders?  (Read 1588 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
Altering sound decoders?
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
So as someone who hasn't done any sound installs of my own before, I'm seeking the input of the gurus.
I have a brass model of a Brill 250hp gas-electric that I'd potentially like to add a sound decoder and a sizeable keep-alive to.

I know that it's possible with ESU decoders to change sound files, but how much changing can be done?
Like is it possible to pick and choose things like prime mover, horn, bell, etc.?

The reason I ask is that if I manage to find a sound file for a Brill 250hp gas-electric, I will very likely need a different horn, especially since the GHB brass model I'm using has a single horn, yet the few photos of the prototype I'm modeling show a double horn.

What I am modeling is PRSL #400, which was a former PRR Brill, which became the only Brill 250hp gas-electric on the PRSL's roster. #400 was equipped with what has been identified as a Westinghouse Duplex Model AAC-1, of which a YouTube video exists of someone sounding one of that type of horn.

Is it possible to take an audio clip from YouTube and use it in a decoder? If I'm going to equip the model with a sound decoder, I'd like to get at least the horn correct, even if the other sounds have to be from something "close enough".
Otherwise I'll just keep the model silent.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:56:05 PM by VonRyan »
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Altering sound decoders?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:56:17 PM »
+1
With a V4 or V5 you can put any sound you want from birds chirping to a 20-cyl EMD.  The catch is that you have to be somewhat adept at sound editing to have the best effect.

The disclaimer here is that I haven't done it (yet), but I've read much about both ESU and Digitrax sound programming.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 08:15:08 AM »
Note to self.  Record in a god like deep voice "Don't Touch The Trains!" and assign it to a function key.  Will come in handy when running at shows.  :D

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
+1
Note to self.  Record in a god like deep voice "Don't Touch The Trains!" and assign it to a function key.  Will come in handy when running at shows.  :D

Ask @GaryHinshaw to get Morgan Freeman to cut a recording of that for you the next time he sees him (if you've been watching TRW headers, you know what I'm talking about).   :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
With a V4 or V5 you can put any sound you want from birds chirping to a 20-cyl EMD.  The catch is that you have to be somewhat adept at sound editing to have the best effect.

The disclaimer here is that I haven't done it (yet), but I've read much about both ESU and Digitrax sound programming.

I haven't gotten to that point, either, but I can tell you that my Rapido F40PH has special sound effects that they put in (around F15 to F18 or so) that include Star Trek clips, e.g., Worf stating that he is not a merry man, and the Theme Song to The Greatest American Hero.  Once you learn how to record and program sounds, you can do the same thing.  As John pointed out, if you go with ESU decoders, you have to use LokSound V4.0 or V5.0 decoders.  You cannot do this with LokSound Select decoders.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
Ask @GaryHinshaw to get Morgan Freeman to cut a recording of that for you the next time he sees him (if you've been watching TRW headers, you know what I'm talking about).   :D

DFF

Cue thunder and lightning sound.  Morgan speaks: Son!  Thou shall not touch the trains!".  Add more thunder and lightning sound.

Awesome!

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
To get back to the question, as John R. noted, ESU's V4 and V5 decoders are fully programmable.  You can slice, dice, chop, and stir the sounds in a V4 or V5 sound file to your heart's content.  Cut a whistle from File 1 and drop it into File 2.  Or take your own recording and make THAT the whistle.  All of this can be done through the LokProgrammer software, although a good sound editing program will also be necessary if you are planning on dropping in your own recorded sounds.

And there is a learning curve.  Just substituting a whistle or horn shouldn't be too difficult, but it does require some basic understanding of how the "sound flow" of an ESU file works.  If you are interested, then I strongly suggest you read the user-revised LokProgrammer manual posted in the files section of the Yahoo ESU group.  Or you can e-mail me directly at jdcolombo at gmail and I can e-mail it to you.

John C.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
Man I could have used (still could have I suppose) this on my Polar Express instead of stuffing that Bluetooth speaker into the baggage car!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
Man I could have used (still could have I suppose) this on my Polar Express instead of stuffing that Bluetooth speaker into the baggage car!

True, but I suspect that your current setup didn't cost you over $100.   :)
. . . 42 . . .

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
So as someone who hasn't done any sound installs of my own before, I'm seeking the input of the gurus.
I have a brass model of a Brill 250hp gas-electric that I'd potentially like to add a sound decoder and a sizeable keep-alive to. ...

Is it possible to take an audio clip from YouTube and use it in a decoder? If I'm going to equip the model with a sound decoder, I'd like to get at least the horn correct, even if the other sounds have to be from something "close enough".
Otherwise I'll just keep the model silent.

It is possible to use audio clips from other sources.  Digitrax decoders have SPJ files that can be modified and, as stated, both ESU and Zimo allow for file modifications.  Proprietary equipment is needed for each system AND (a big AND) what about copyright laws.  I know many YouTube audio equipment reviewers do not actually play music because of copyright considerations.  I say this because I am working with JMRI's Virtual Sound Decoder (VSD) and am concerned about copyright.

conrad

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
It is possible to use audio clips from other sources.  Digitrax decoders have SPJ files that can be modified and, as stated, both ESU and Zimo allow for file modifications.  Proprietary equipment is needed for each system AND (a big AND) what about copyright laws.  I know many YouTube audio equipment reviewers do not actually play music because of copyright considerations.  I say this because I am working with JMRI's Virtual Sound Decoder (VSD) and am concerned about copyright.

conrad

If you are doing this for yourself (not for sale or distribution) then I don't think anybody will come after you.  What you do inside your house is still your business (unless it presents danger to others).  At least I hope that is still the case.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:57:25 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »
If you are doing this for yourself (not for sale or distribution) then I don't think anybody will came after you.  What you do inside your house is still your business (unless it presents danger to others).  At least I hope that is still the case.

Yep. I agree but don’t have Alexa plugged in
Steve