Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/10/19  (Read 4232 times)

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3403
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
Re: Weekend Update 2/10/19
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »
+7
Another one for me...

Before and after. This is a Blackstone class C-19 2-8-0 I painted and weathered to represent RGS C-16 #17. Dimensionally the C-19s are larger than the C-16 class but you’d really only notice if you put them next to one another. And since I have no actual C-16s on my layout, problem solved! #17 was one of the very last operable C-16s in use on the RGS, having run into 1927 with a new steel boiler. Before the Depression hit, the RGS was discussing having the D&RGW overhaul some of its C-16s, even sending #6 to Alamosa for that purpose. While in the real world none of the RGS C-16s ever ran after 1927, in my model world, RGS #17 got the full D&RGW C-16 update including twin 9.5” air pumps. Then, in 1930 when Victor Miller took over receivership and temporarily ended leasing of motive power from the D&RGW, RGS #17 got new lease on life.

Weathered with acrylic washes.  I wanted the boiler to look worn, like they re-used her planished iron boiler jacket, so I painted the boiler with Neolube.  The prototype shows something similar only in black and white:

https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD155-RGS-60-C-16-Class-Locomotives/G0000.xyDfnj0AEM/I0000tN28a3oJLwc/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU?fbclid=IwAR2RA7nIkGmyA1ipTVoEAzfJhwptwcZ1i0Gx_1lz8IalySWYIgyz6tSCEpE
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:43:51 PM by Dave V »
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +1670
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »
+6
Continuing on with getting SBD No. 6614 back into service.  I've already removed the factory sound decoder and converted the locomotive to an ESU LokSound V4.0 connected to a TCS motherboard with Keep-Alives.  This morning, I pulled out the Athearn incandescent bulbs from the headlights, because these bulbs are notorious for burning out and I'm converting the lighting to LEDs.  Unfortunately, the bulbs are also the headlight lenses, but I found a dealer on eBay that is selling clear plastic lenses for Athearn Genesis locomotives.  With just some minor reaming needed in a couple of the six headlight holes, I placed a small dab of Microscale Kristal Klear in each hole before installing the lenses.  Done.

Although No. 6614 still doesn't have its LEDs installed, it can function as a trailing unit for now.  :P  The following picture makes me very happy.  Thank you, Atlas and Athearn, for these consecutively-numbered GP40-2s in the two different schemes, i.e., the Seaboard Coast Line's final "Family Lines" scheme from prior to the merger and the "new" Seaboard System scheme.  Sweet.

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
+11
Getting closer to paint on my California Northern SD9. Finished up the main handrails this weekend, just need the four little stanchions in the step wells. I also got the frame back from milling for the kitbashed fuel tank. The unit runs, but I found out the newer Atlas trucks do not contact the worm gears on the older Atlas/Kato chassis, but that’s an easy fix. Enjoy the photos!

Thanks to @rodsup9000 for the frame milling, everything fits very well.

Doug

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
Another one for me...

Before and after. This is a Blackstone class C-19 2-8-0 I painted and weathered to represent RGS C-16 #17. Dimensionally the C-19s are larger than the C-16 class but you’d really only notice if you put them next to one another. And since I have no actual C-16s on my layout, problem solved! #17 was one of the very last operable C-16s in use on the RGS, having run into 1927 with a new steel boiler. Before the Depression hit, the RGS was discussing having the D&RGW overhaul some of its C-16s, even sending #6 to Alamosa for that purpose. While in the real world none of the RGS C-16s ever ran after 1927, in my model world, RGS #17 got the full D&RGW C-16 update including twin 9.5” air pumps. Then, in 1930 when Victor Miller took over receivership and temporarily ended leasing of motive power from the D&RGW, RGS #17 got new lease on life.
Weathered with acrylic washes.  I wanted the boiler to look worn, like they re-used her planished iron boiler jacket, so I painted the boiler with Neolube.  The prototype shows something similar only in black and white:

Loco look very nice with its new decals and a touch of weathering Dave.
Rod.

Santafesd40.blogspot.com

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +790
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »
+2
Productive day in the basement today.  Got everything moved out of the way (damn, even though it's my basement, a lot of stuff accumulated over here) and made enough space to get my center wall up.  I need 2-3 more 2x4  to fill in the center angled section but we're ready to go with new benchwork after cleaning up some more stuff and relocating it.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
+1
Getting closer to paint on my California Northern SD9. Finished up the main handrails this weekend, just need the four little stanchions in the step wells. I also got the frame back from milling for the kitbashed fuel tank. The unit runs, but I found out the newer Atlas trucks do not contact the worm gears on the older Atlas/Kato chassis, but that’s an easy fix. Enjoy the photos!

Thanks to @rodsup9000 for the frame milling, everything fits very well.

Doug

Doug, your handrails are exquisite, but I'm particularly taken by your ballast🙀
What are you using, if I may ask?
Otto K.

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
+7
Sorry, guys, one more...the gratuitous money shot.

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 10:40:10 PM »
+1
I've been working on this BN SD-9 i started a couple years ago.  Mostly done, then realized I got the battery boxes wrong  :facepalm:

I'm screwing around with using some foil for the replacement treadplates.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +264
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 12:08:12 AM »
Another one for me...

https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RD155-RGS-60-C-16-Class-Locomotives/G0000.xyDfnj0AEM/I0000tN28a3oJLwc/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU?fbclid=IwAR2RA7nIkGmyA1ipTVoEAzfJhwptwcZ1i0Gx_1lz8IalySWYIgyz6tSCEpE
interesting idea Dr. Hotballs, but I have to ask why?

The Rio Grande Southern had a trio of C19's, 40, 41, and 42. In 1953, 40 derailed with 20, and was deemed not worthy of a rebuild. In 1952, Walter Knott bought 41 and it has been making nothing but right turns on what used to be a berry farm. 42 is still around,  but reportedly never going to be running again due to a broken frame. She sits in the Durango roundhouse.

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
interesting idea Dr. Hotballs, but I have to ask why?

The Rio Grande Southern had a trio of C19's, 40, 41, and 42. In 1953, 40 derailed with 20, and was deemed not worthy of a rebuild. In 1952, Walter Knott bought 41 and it has been making nothing but right turns on what used to be a berry farm. 42 is still around,  but reportedly never going to be running again due to a broken frame. She sits in the Durango roundhouse.

Easy answer in 4 parts:

1)  The RGS only had two C-19s, 40 and 41.  42 was a C-17, and the main differences were the drive rod connecting to the third, rather than second, drive axle and the steam dome sits noticeably farther back on the 42.
2)  I already have 40 and 41.  40 wears the sunrise herald and 41 is in the old style lettering.
3)  I've always had a thing for RGS C-16s.  Love 'em.  They had character that the later engines didn't.  But Blackstone has no current intent to do them, all the brass C-16s are either of the late D&RGW examples or the really early as-delivered ones.  And brass requires painting and DCC/sound install which I can do but is a huge a$$-pain.
4)  I won an undecorated Blackstone C-19 on eBay for below the typical street price.

Put those altogether under the auspices of "Rule #1" and now I have another locomotive for the roster.

Also, 40 derailed in 1943...by 1953 the last RGS rail was being lifted from the roadbed.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +264
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 12:18:43 AM »

Also, 40 derailed in 1943...by 1953 the last RGS rail was being lifted from the roadbed.
good reasons..and 1953 was a typo...

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +407
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »
Been working on Rico...

Hot damn Dave!...that's lookin' really good!  :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1173
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
I know that we're all abuzz about our brush with the MR celebrity bump, but this one is for Jason at Rapido, who I know also drops by on occasion. 

More progress on my bus for the school play...
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
Hot damn Dave!...that's lookin' really good!  :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Thanks, Bob!  That means a lot!

FWIW it's the proverbial lipstick on a pig...  That's commercial code 70 track.  I take the time to paint the individual ties, though, so that helps.  Unlike its parent D&RGW, the RGS primarily used untreated raw ties.

The rails are certainly way higher than they should be...  There were miles of 40 pound rail still in place at abandonment in 1952.  Most of the First District was 57 pound rail.  But rail height doesn't really bug me as long as the rail profile is correct (unlike N scale code 80).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:59:43 AM by Dave V »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2025
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
After getting a dose of inspiration over on the DCC thread, I finished-up installing an ESU LokSound decoder in an Arnold SW-1 switcher this week. I went a step further by installing three SMD capacitors, which are sandwiched between the chassis and speaker enclosure. Wire grab irons and weathering finished it off.

Damn Chris. That is hot. I guess I should step up the effort on my pair.

Did you leave the traction tire?