Author Topic: Trinity 3-car articulated 53' double stacks now available from N Scale Kits  (Read 762 times)

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
N Scale Kits have released another of their 53' double stack wellcars. These are the RWG33A cars, a 3-car articulated car set. www.nscalekits.com

In 1999-2000 Trinity built 345 125t 53’ 3-car articulated units for Newcourt Capital and many were leased to TTX. They were placed in their DTTX class RWG33 725002-725346. In 2003 - 2005 Trinity built a further subsequent order of 889 RWG33A units said by Jim Panza to ‘combine the best features of the Thrall and Trinity designs’. They are numbered 729000-729888.

The cars are in lead free pewter, with etched stainless steel walkways. Decals for the RWG33A cars are included.

53' single car double stack unit kits such as the NSC NWF13 and the Gunderson 53AP cars are still available too.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +160
+1
@GaryHinshaw will love this.

I mean, I will too, once I finish the other half dozen projects ahead of it.   :facepalm:

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +453
Great to see this release Peter.  Thank you (again)!

Could you comment on whether these kits include any brake gear?  I don't see any indication of this in your web info.  I'll be ordering a few sets in any case.  :)

prbharris

• Crew
these kits include any brake gear

Yes there are two air reservoirs and three way valves - they go underneath the upper walkway on the car ends

I don't see any indication of this in your web info

Sorry Gary - we did not add them to the cars before the pictures were taken.

The reason why the 53' cars are in three car units is because of AAR rules on length of cars v brake numbers. To take the consist to 5 cars would mean three brake sets.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Awesome, will order shortly.

@prbharris  Will the MTL-1036 trucks work on these? Is there different sizes for the end vs the middle trucks?   The BLMA ones are super hard to find.

Thanks!

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
Ordered up a pair!

prbharris

• Crew
Will the MTL-1036 trucks work on these?

The 1036 [003 02 040] are on our test version. I am expecting that @bbussey  ESM's new trucks when they are available will also work.

Is there different sizes for the end vs the middle trucks?

Yes the prototype's middle trucks do have the smaller wheels, but most modelers of similar consists use the same trucks through out without significant issues.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +160

Yes the prototype's middle trucks do have the smaller wheels, but most modelers of similar consists use the same trucks through out without significant issues.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

The prototype's middle trucks have bigger wheels.  38" on 125 ton trucks.  Vs 33" wheels on 70ton trucks on the ends.

Kato makes a 125ton truck, but it takes some extra effort to adapt to most uses.  And of course I don't know if your model would have the wheel clearances.  I have used 100 ton trucks with 36" wheels on a lot of models that have 125ton trucks at the articulated joints on the proto.  To me the visible difference from end to middle is more crucial than the exact size of the middle.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:05:46 PM by jagged ben »

prbharris

• Crew
The prototype's middle trucks have bigger wheels.  38" on 125 ton trucks.  Vs 33" wheels on 70ton trucks on the ends.

oops - sorry, my mistake. Apologies.

Kato makes a 125ton truck, but it takes some extra effort to adapt to most uses.  And of course I don't know if your model would have the wheel clearances.

almost certainly not - but a little filing could be done if this was a requirement.

I have used 100 ton trucks with 36" wheels on a lot of models that have 125ton trucks at the articulated joints on the proto.  To me the visible difference from end to middle is more crucial than the exact size of the middle.

I think that a lot of folks do that too. Good thinking.

Peter

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew

Kato makes a 125ton truck, but it takes some extra effort to adapt to most uses.  And of course I don't know if your model would have the wheel clearances.

I believe this is correct.  I have a stash of Kato 125T trucks to try out on these kits.  I have used them successfully on the Deluxe Maxi-III sets before:

and on Peter's chopped-down Maxi-III kits (no photo at the moment), so I'm optimistic they'll work on these Trinity kits as well.

Note - I think the standalone NSC well cars use 100T trucks with 36" wheels, based on the information in this NSC page.

slickwillie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Trinity 3-car articulated 53' double stacks now available from N Scale Kits
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 11:28:37 PM »
@prbharris Do you still plan on making the Santa Fe Impack 10 spine cars? 😀

prbharris

• Crew
Re: Trinity 3-car articulated 53' double stacks now available from N Scale Kits
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:48 AM »
@prbharris Do you still plan on making the Santa Fe Impack 10 spine cars? 😀

We do but have had some issues with the pattern, so we are repatterning as I write. We do anticipate them being ready last this Spring and I will announce the cars [with the decals available] here! The cars will be in different numbers of packs including a ten pack of the Impack cars.

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com