Author Topic: Room sale - Winterfest 2019 / Amherst Railway Society's Big Railroad Hobby Show  (Read 1588 times)

delphiz302

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
    • Delaware Free-moN Facebook
Hi all - you are invited to my room sale I will be hosting at the hotel in conjunction with Winterfest 2019 / Amherst Railway Society's Big Railroad Hobby Show

Details
Where: Hilton Garden Inn, Springfield Mass   Room number will be posted here by Friday morning and in the elevators on Friday and Saturday night.

When:
Friday January 25: after the Friday night winterfest presentations until 10:30PM.
Saturday January 26: 6:30PM - 10:30PM

What:
N scale locomotives, rolling stock, buildings and more.
Z scale locomotives and rolling stock.
Probably a little bit of HO too.
Lots of new/unused stuff or lightly used.  Wide variety of roads.  Quality stuff, manufactured in the last few years.
Test track for n and z scale.

Hope to see you Friday or Saturday!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
I'm a member of the club hosting Winterfest, and who are you?  A dealer or a private individual?

Here is the info on the Winterfest room sales (from our club president's letter):

Swap Table.    I would like to have an annual swap table during the show rather than room sales.  I won’t stop you from private room sales, but I think you will get a lot more mileage if we can do it all in one place.  Your suggestions on when and where are welcome.   This will not be for dealers.  Must be private exchanges only.    During the mini-show has been discussed but it might detract from the manufacturers and certainly would disrupt their presentations.  I have three or more presentations scheduled this year. 

Sticking personal ads for room sales on the walls is not permitted by the hotel and they may be removed without notice.  If you use tape that leaves a sticky residue you may be charged a cleaning fee. 

So keep in mind that your signs could be removed.
. . . 42 . . .

delphiz302

• Crew
I'm a guy with too many trains aka not a dealer.  And not only my stuff, I'll have stuff from my clubmates too.  A couple of us narrowing our focus in model railroading, plus items from an estate of a late clubmate.

Are you saying there is going to be a swap meet in Winterfest this year?  Or saying it was never decided?  The information letter for Winterfest 2019 is a little lacking  :|   http://www.nenscale.org/Winterfest/previous_years/2019/letters/wf2019.pdf

fwiw room sales are one of the fun parts of NSE convention, and the Winterfest format lends itself to room sales too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:52:15 AM by delphiz302 »

peteski

• Crew
I'm a guy with too many trains aka not a dealer.  And not only my stuff, I'll have stuff from my clubmates too.  A couple of us narrowing our focus in model railroading, plus items from an estate of a late clubmate.

Are you saying there is going to be a swap meet in Winterfest this year?  Or saying it was never decided?  The information letter for Winterfest 2019 is a little lacking  :|   http://www.nenscale.org/Winterfest/previous_years/2019/letters/wf2019.pdf

fwiw room sales are one of the fun parts of NSE convention, and the Winterfest format lends itself to room sales too.

I'm not sure about the swap meet thing -- I read the same letter you did (and quoted it in my last post).  I also agree that room sales are part of the fun. I just didn't know whether you saw that presidents letter, and the warning about the hotel seemingly being against them (and also them taking any "personal ads" down).  I simply wanted to warn you not to be disappointed if the hotel removes your "ads".

I'll ask Bob Fallier (our club president) about the status of that swap meet and if responds, post the info here.
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
I won't be in attendance, but if you have an Intermountain FP9 in Algoma Central (preferred, any road at this point would work) or Exactrail TTX Bulkhead flats in N scale, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands :D

peteski

• Crew
I got a reply fro Bob.  The swap table thing likely won't happen this year. As for the room sales, he does not discourage them either - he just wanted to make sure that the hotel might be taking the signs down. Personally I'm not sure why the hotel woudl care wheter there are room sales or not.

I'll have to talk to him about this after Winterfest because, like you pointed out, room sales are a big thing (and highly advertised) during NSE conventions.  It would be good to embrace them during Winterfest. As I see it, the only problem with this is that Winterfest only last 2 days (and we are at the Big-E for a good chunk of both days), so there isn't much time left to allocate for room sales.
. . . 42 . . .

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Personally I'm not sure why the hotel woudl care wheter there are room sales or not.
Have to look at it through a security and liability lense.  Bunch of lunatic Model Railroad nuts wondering around a hotel, drooling feverishly after coming out of each "sales" room.  How could that be safe for the rest of the regular folks just trying to enjoy their stay...  :trollface: :scared: :D

In all seriousness, it probably is (okay, might be...) a security concern for them.  They can handle the traffic on the ground floor, but moving to the secondary floors with unregistered, non-guests is a different ballgame.  Just my take...

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

delphiz302

• Crew
(non-violent) lunatics with cash are welcome.  Please hold all drool until after you have left the room!

peteski

• Crew
I got more details: basically hotel frowns on having any signs taped to the walls because often removing them damages the wall surface.  Nothing to do with security.  If you use low-tack tape.  If the wall get damage when they remove your sign, they will track you down (since your info is on the sign).
. . . 42 . . .

delphiz302

• Crew
Room 461 for the sale, stop “buy”.   Signs will be posted in the elevators too

delphiz302

• Crew
Another night for the room sale.  I won’t be at the banquet so stop up room 461 until 1030pm.   I may step out to hear the model contest awards however. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

delphiz302

• Crew
Thank you all that stopped by!

@mu26aeh sorry, we didn't have anything on your wish list.