Author Topic: A Dumb Question about ESU Sound Levels  (Read 730 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: A Dumb Question about ESU Sound Levels
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »
What???!!!  No spinners?

Don't you know?  On donked golf carts, those are considered in bad taste.  :D
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +164
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »
Sorry, I'm behind on my reading of Donked Digest.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
Sorry, I'm behind on my reading of Donked Digest.

LOL!  I only heard about it from a friend: Chris333.  :D
--- Peteski de Snarkski

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • Modutrak
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »
@Steveruger45,

Gotcha!  Makes perfect sense, except what happens if a third locomotive is in the consist?

DFF
What about making F0 inactive while in consist? Never tried it, but SEEMS logical.

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
When I consist LokSound-equipped locos, here is how I do it.

The NKP typically ran three-unit consists on its trains.  I do this too, and "hard" consist each locomotive by setting them to the same address (the address of the lead locomotive).  My consists have sound (ESU LokSound) decoders in the front and rear engines, but not in the middle engine (I use a LokPilot V.4 in that one, which makes it compatible with Drive Hold).  So Loco1 (lead) is set for forward running, and F0 turns on the headlight.  I remap the rear light to F3 (I don't use the coupler sound anyway), so that light only comes on when/if I press F3.  Loco 2, the middle loco, is set for forward running, and I disable the lights completely (just eliminate the entries for physical connections in the F0, Forward and F0, Reverse function mapping table).  The rear loco is set up for reverse running, with the same light setup as the front loco.  If the consist is running "forward" and F0 is on, only the front engine's headlight is on.  If the consist is running in reverse (for example, I do a runaround move so the consist order is reversed), the rear engine's light is on and the "lead" loco's is off. 

Now comes the cute part.  On the front loco, I set up F1 (bell) and F2 (horn) to work only if F7 is off (e.g., the logic here is F1, not F7).  On the rear unit, I set up the horn and bell so that they come on only if F7 is on.  So if my consist is running in the "normal" direction, F1 and F2 operate the lead loco's horn and bell.  But since F7 is off, those buttons do not operate the rear loco's bell and horn, since I have its function keys set up so that the bell and horn operate only if F7 is on.  But let's say I do a run-around move and now I'm running the consist "backwards" with the rear loco now in the lead.  I press F7 when doing this, which disables the bell and horn in the "normal lead" loco, but enables it in the rear (now the lead) loco.   If I run the engines in "normal" direction, I turn F7 off, which re-enables the lead loco's horn and bell.

Admittedly, I don't break apart my consists, which would make this setup useless.  But for me, it works great.

John C.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:08 PM »
When I consist LokSound-equipped locos, here is how I do it.
The rear loco is set up for reverse running, with the same light setup as the front loco.  If the consist is running "forward" and F0 is on, only the front engine's headlight is on. 

How do  you reverse it? Simply be setting the reverse bit on CV29?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »
How do  you reverse it? Simply be setting the reverse bit on CV29?

Yep.  CV 29.

John C.