Author Topic: Netfabb  (Read 261 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12448
  • Respect: +2054
Netfabb
« on: November 29, 2018, 05:16:16 AM »
0
OK trying to figure this out. Import my ore car model into Netfabb. Right off the bat it says there are 445 shells.



I add the parts.


I click the red plus (repair) button. See 5 holes. I click apply repair, remove old parts.



Mesh is closed, mess is not oriented.

Now what?

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 7540
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +501
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:25 AM »
0
I think the 5 shells and 7497  triangles with invalid orientation are still a big problem.

Jason

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 7540
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +501
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
0
So Chris,  when you're on this screen -



What does it say when you click on the "shells" tab on the right?

I got Netfabb to work on the regular trial version.  If you send me the .stl file, I can look at what's going on and see if it can be fixed.

Jason
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:13:03 PM by wcfn100 »

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12448
  • Respect: +2054
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
0
I have cleaned up the model a bit in Sketchup. Now when I put it into Netfabb it starts at 273 shells. When I repair it, save, and open the saved file it says 1 shell. But I still get 1 hole that I can't find. Says it is watertight

Mark W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1362
  • Respect: +882
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »
0
Multiple shells are not necessarily something to be worried about.  If they are intersecting, the slicer will view them as one (think vacuforming, only the outside edges matter).  However, if they are merely adjacent, that is when you might have issues. 
In Maya, I can 'snap' one shell to be exactly aligned with another so that no matter how far I zoom in, they are always touching.  Alternatively, if I free-hand position two shells next to each other, sometimes you'll zoom in and find there is still a super tiny gap.  This is when you'll have issues as the slicer thinks there should be space between them. 

Holes are more problematic.  John mentioned in another thread about handling files in different programs.  Netfabb may identify a hole, yet still call the model 'water tight', however the Photon Slicer may recognize that hole and think otherwise. 

Yet a third issue to be aware of, and one I think might be affecting Chris's model, is face normals.  Think of these as clothing.  With the exception of reversible ties and such, clothing has an inside and an outside.  If I put on a sock inside out, that's not blatantly obvious to the outside world, but our 3D programs sure know it.   Going back to the vacuform simile, as it begins forming over your foot, suddenly it thinks the inside is outside, and we start getting conflicting results, or random triangles.  (Netfabb being more sophisticated, might be recognizing this and auto compensating, therefore able to call the model water tight.)

I'm not sure how to solve that in Netfabb or Sketchup, if it is an issue at all.  But like Jason, I'm happy to take a look at the model if you're willing to send a copy. 
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12448
  • Respect: +2054
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
0
What I think is a fixed model is printing as I type. If it turns out fine then I guess I've solved the problem.

If I would have drawn this as one piece there would be far less problems. I drew it as 5 pieces for Shapeways and then just put it together. Re-drawing the whole thing would probably take a few days. Not that fixing the model isn't taking a while either.   :P

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12448
  • Respect: +2054
Re: Netfabb
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:36:03 AM »
0
So what I've been doing...
I click the red cross
Run repair script (bottom left)
Extended repair, execute
Apply repair
Remove old part
and save.

Seems to be working. I run it through the slicer to check. BTW in the slicer preview you can use the up/down arrow keys to toggle through the layers one at a time.