Author Topic: Atlas November announcement Walthers N tooling edition  (Read 2294 times)

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
Atlas November announcement Walthers N tooling edition
« on: November 07, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »
+1
Finally some tooling that should have seen more runs by the previous owner. Thank you Atlas for rescuing this.

https://shop.atlasrr.com/d-505-november-2018-asmc.aspx
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:42:55 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
    • ShastaRails.com
Re: Atlas November announcement Walthers N tooling edition
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
I wonder if they modified the GP-20 mechanism for sound or could they use the Atlas GP-9?

GP-20   https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1508-n214.aspx?utm_source=TheRailWire
Russell Snow Plow: https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1510-n216.aspx?utm_source=TheRailWire
Difco Side Dump:   https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1509-n215.aspx?utm_source=TheRailWire

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +466
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
I like how the Silver Versions already have the speaker built in.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
Absolutely nothing of interest.  My pre order list is down to two products and I could really care less if they ever show up.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +529
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »
+1
I think that single car MSRP on the Difco cars is the same as what I paid for the Walthers three pack.  :o

Jason

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
I like how the Silver Versions already have the speaker built in.
It's like wearing earphones that aren't plugged into anything.

Colorado_Bob

• Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
Absolutely nothing of interest.  My pre order list is down to two products and I could really care less if they ever show up.

My reservation list isn't much deeper than yours.  I was reviewing it just the other day and wondering how that could have happened as I normally have a rather lengthy list.  I've written off the Concor locos ever seeing the light of day.  That leaves a couple of locos and a few pieces of rolling stock, none of which will make or break my roster.  I usually have something to look forward to for Christmas, but not this year.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +936
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »
Oh, dear. This is going to be expensive, as I have a weakness for UP GP20s. [...sigh...] But it'll save me a bunch of bench time putting CN-GP decoders in the 2 or 3 1st-gen LL units already in the bench queue.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
Nice to see the Russell plows make an appearance. They were fetching high prices on the Bay for a while.

Tom L.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
Yes this is nice to see some plows once again. I noticed that they stated it has window
glazing. I cannot remember but did the original ones have glazing??

Jon

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +280
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
Yes this is nice to see some plows once again. I noticed that they stated it has window
glazing. I cannot remember but did the original ones have glazing??

Jon

no, they did not

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +509
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
Yep,  noticed the windows too. Maybe they will offer a retrofit kit for older models. I painted up a Conrail version years ago, but I never met a plow I didn't like.
Dan's Train Company
Forcing grandma to make my trains since 2019.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +936
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »
I was about to push (...or click...) the button to pre-order a trio of UP GP20s, and at that moment realized they would become yet another project gathering dust in the queue for painting and/or lettering. For some reason Atlas chose to use the last lettering scheme, with the UP medallion on the cab sides. Of the 17-20 years the GP20s were on the roster, in only four of those years could they have possibly received this scheme, and from my research many didn't. I could confirm one of Atlas' numbers with the late lettering, so I suspect they have evidence the other two did as well.

This is a pet peeve - paint and lettering attributing models to a later time period for rolling stock with long histories. It's usually plausible to have an earlier scheme in a scene depicting a more modern era, but the other way around is an anachronism that should be corrected. Another example is conspicuity stripes on pre-2005 equipment - easy to add, a PITA to remove for backdating.

[...sigh...]

I could probably get the medallion off the cabs without too much headache using the Solvaset trick, but it is frustrating needing to do this. But as others have expressed, I should be thankful for the quick re-release of a very nice model and just STFU. :|
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:33:15 AM by C855B »
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
I was about to push (...or click...) the button to pre-order a trio of UP GP20s, and at that moment realized they would become yet another project gathering dust in the queue for painting and/or lettering. For some reason Atlas chose to use the last lettering scheme, with the UP medallion on the cab sides. Of the 17-20 years the GP20s were on the roster, in only four of those years could they have possibly received this scheme, and from my research many didn't. I could confirm one of Atlas' numbers with the late lettering, so I suspect they have evidence the other two did as well.
Maybe Atlas is planning to produce a model of the DD35?
https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1849/44762298551_2515f0faef_b.jpg

475: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2090282
481: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/308832
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:09:06 PM by Point353 »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2123
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »

This is a pet peeve - paint and lettering attributing models to a later time period for rolling stock with long histories. It's usually plausible to have an earlier scheme in a scene depicting a more modern era, but the other way around is an anachronism that should be corrected. Another example is conspicuity stripes on pre-2005 equipment - easy to add, a PITA to remove for backdating.

[...sigh...]

I could probably get the medallion off the cabs without too much headache using the Solvaset trick, but it is frustrating needing to do this. But as others have expressed, I should be thankful for the quick re-release of a very nice model and just STFU. :|

Yeah, but unlike Walthers... I'd say just wait a year or so and the other paint scheme should probably come along.