Author Topic: When did Kadee / Micro-Trains re-tool the 34' Caboose frame?  (Read 1028 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
When did Kadee / Micro-Trains re-tool the 34' Caboose frame?
« on: November 05, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
.. I have a Kadee 50060 34' Wood Caboose from July 1975.   The box is labeled as Rapido coupler model, and I'd like to restore it to Rapido couplers.

The problem is.. The prior owner converted it to knukle couplers by filing down the coupler box molded in the frame and installed a regular coupler box. 

So, I figured.. Get an unmodified caboose frame that takes the T-Shank couplers, and a Kadee car with rapido couplers - install couplers.. put the frame on.. and done!..

NOPE!!..  The intended donor car was 50190 produced in November 1993, and the frame doesn't fit the body.. (Very close)... but at some point MT retooled the under frame and body.. The frame is slightly longer where the body slides on.  The body tooling must have been adjusted to fit the new frame.

I have the list of cabooses from MT, and and trying to figure out what my choices are on a donor car?
There is a production gap from 12/1978 to 02/1981.. a few releases in 1981, then gap until 1984, then a gap until 1987 and regular releases form then on.. (and the 51000 body style started in 10/1989)

I'd prefer to replace with an original frame and not modify the body shell.

~Ian

~Ian

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
Re: When did Kadee / Micro-Trains re-tool the 34' Caboose frame?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
I'll dig around and see if I can find some old stock in a corner someplace

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: When did Kadee / Micro-Trains re-tool the 34' Caboose frame?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:04:09 PM »
Thanks Joe!.. If you find something, All I would need is the metal frame.. I've got everything else.. (assuming the coupler box clip (cover) didnt change with the retool..)

~Ian..
~Ian