Author Topic: Anycubic Photon  (Read 45505 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +477
Re: Anycubic Photon
« Reply #810 on: February 17, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
I know some of you guys are getting some pretty clean small diameter openings, but the I can't seem to make it happen. This shell had .012 holes or larger for hand rail stanchions, grab irons, plumbing etc, but the best I can muster are the tiny dimples seen in the photos. It's not the end of the world though, I don't mind drilling them out.

That looks pretty excellent! 8)

As far as holes go, those small ones are tough.  The resin likes to linger in them and gets partially cured so fills them in.  As you said, drilling them out isn't hard as long as you have the dimple to start them. 

Now, with that said, I've found that the problem is aggravated by the wall thickness, thicker being worse, and fairly logical.  What I'm doing is calling out a larger diameter hole for almost anything, especially under .020".  Very thin wall (.012"?) and a diameter around .008" I would probably start by adding .006", .003" per side.  Thicker wall add more, a little bigger hole, add maybe a little less, but I have used in various examples all of the way up to .010" over.  Example: I have a .030" wall that I want an .018" hole in, allowing .003" clearance for a .015" pin, printing with that hole vertical.  My drawing calls out a .025" hole and it generally comes out OK, right around the desired .018", but a few holes may still take a small amount while checking the hole with a drill.  It's easy though and the holes have always been placed right where I wanted them.  Work with this and you'll get it closer but for small holes it will probably always be best to check them individually unless you can accept a really loose fit.   8)  Meanwhile, really nice shell! :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:34:27 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #811 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32:34 PM »
I jumped on this bandwagon and got myself a Photon after seeing all the awesomeness here. I have not a few prints so far, mainly from models I have found on Thingiverse. I did print, paint and install these transformers for my layout. I guess I need to start working on my own models...

Isn't it cool?  I almost never used Shapeways parts due to FUD finish and especially fragility.   This process is finally good enough for most of my purposes. 8)
Mark G.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #812 on: February 17, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
+1
I have a thought about those small holes. What if you were to design it with a larger hole on the back side so that you end up with a thinner wall. You know so the hole is stepped. It would also leave a little recessed area on the back for what it is you stick in it to glue it and keep it short so as to not protrude into the shell cavity and interfere with the chassis.

Just a thought.
Jon

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #813 on: February 17, 2019, 11:53:11 PM »
I have a thought about those small holes. What if you were to design it with a larger hole on the back side so that you end up with a thinner wall. You know so the hole is stepped. It would also leave a little recessed area on the back for what it is you stick in it to glue it and keep it short so as to not protrude into the shell cavity and interfere with the chassis.

Just a thought.
Jon

That's a method that could probably find an application even if not this time. 8)  Good logical thinking is the order of the day with these things.
Mark G.

Thunderhawk

• Respect: +3
« Reply #814 on: February 19, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
+2
Dental casting green came with mine like others here. At least I ordered grey and clear so I can play with those.

Will have to come up with something for the local rock shop to cast for me.

Running a test on a station wall. Should see what I have in 4 hours or so.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2719
« Reply #815 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
So is the casting resin good for just straight casting?  Do the parts come out softer or something?

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #816 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:26 PM »
+1
Dental casting green came with mine like others here.

I'm pretty sure what comes with the Photon is translucent green, not dental casting green.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #817 on: February 19, 2019, 11:17:36 PM »
Lately on Facebook it seems everyone was getting the green castable with their machine. I guess by accident because that stuff costs much more.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #818 on: February 19, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
Lately on Facebook it seems everyone was getting the green castable with their machine. I guess by accident because that stuff costs much more.

Does it work in these machines?  What properties are different, if you know? :|
Mark G.

Thunderhawk

« Reply #819 on: February 19, 2019, 11:43:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure what comes with the Photon is translucent green, not dental casting green.

It says dental castable right on the bottle.

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »
It says dental castable right on the bottle.

That a super deal then.

Or then ran out of the 250 ml bottles of the translucent green.   The castable stuff is like twice the price as the green that usually come with them.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #821 on: February 20, 2019, 12:11:11 AM »
Does it work in these machines?  What properties are different, if you know? :|

It works, but I know nothing really about casting. It's for if you want to make Jewelry. The resin burns out like lost wax casting. But I guess dentists use it as well.

This is just an example. Regular resin is $40 and castable is $130:
https://www.3dprintersbay.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=anycubic%20resin

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1207
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #822 on: February 20, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »
It works, but I know nothing really about casting. It's for if you want to make Jewelry. The resin burns out like lost wax casting. But I guess dentists use it as well.

This is just an example. Regular resin is $40 and castable is $130:
https://www.3dprintersbay.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=anycubic%20resin

To cast you would not only need to develop the supports but also include grown CAD for shrinkage (the struggle is real), gating, sprues, and feeders in the CAD model to ensure the metal can get to all of the negative spaces when the resin burns out and the metal replaces it:

It may be difficult to find a caster willing to cast parts for you, even if you have the printed master, and shipping it? Nope.

If you want to cast yourself, it can be done but you need a crucible/pot to melt the metal, an oven to heat the mold and a way to dip the print into ceramic to coat it or pour a ceramic mold around the print and a way to safely four the metal into the mold.  Maybe @robert3985 could correct and expand my thoughts.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #823 on: February 20, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
Ain't nobody got time for that.  :)

But yeah it can be done.

Thunderhawk

« Reply #824 on: February 20, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
As I recall Precision Scale does custom casting.

edit-And there are plenty of videos of women casting up jewelry on youtube. The equipment to do it isn't terribly expensive or large. Might not want to do it in an apartment but out in the garage would be no big deal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 06:36:29 PM by Thunderhawk »