Author Topic: Anycubic Photon  (Read 129700 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3125
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Anycubic Photon
« Reply #825 on: February 21, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »
@robert3985 , exactly why I tagged you to expound on my overly simplistic understanding and explanation.  It's quite an undertaking.

But the idea of printing the investment, and taking it to a local caster is fairly reasonable.

Cymen

• Respect: +1
« Reply #826 on: February 28, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
+1
@Mark W I've read through this thread and I'm amazed that you were able to print the N scale children so well! I'm using a Photon with the translucent green resin and I'm having a hard time with limbs staying attached on adults. I'm using ChiTuBox with medium supports. I tried rotating them and having them straight down from the build plate and rotate does seem to help but it's tricky...

Can you explain a bit more about how you orientate something like the child and how your supports might look? I did read through how you do supports and I think that part is where I need to spend more time. I have been experimenting but it's slow going so any tips you have are greatly appreciated.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #827 on: February 28, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »
+2
@Mark W I've read through this thread and I'm amazed that you were able to print the N scale children so well! I'm using a Photon with the translucent green resin and I'm having a hard time with limbs staying attached on adults. I'm using ChiTuBox with medium supports. I tried rotating them and having them straight down from the build plate and rotate does seem to help but it's tricky...

Can you explain a bit more about how you orientate something like the child and how your supports might look? I did read through how you do supports and I think that part is where I need to spend more time. I have been experimenting but it's slow going so any tips you have are greatly appreciated.

Hi Cymen,

I'm not really doing anything special, that I'm aware of; just adding a few supports and printing them vertical. 
I do inspect each body scan and add a support to any appendage or clothing that overhangs or is otherwise unsupported. 

I aim to have at least one heavy support under the heal and another medium support under the ball of each foot (and a few more on those with bases, just for good measure).  When a support needs to go up to a hand or arm, Netfabb allows me to curve those supports so that they're far enough away from the actual part that they don't blend together.

Without photos, the only other thing I could suggest is to bump your exposure time by a second or two.  At this size, undercurring is more likely to fail than overcurring, so caution on the side of overcure. 

(Here's another comment opportunity for @David K. Smith. :D )

https://i.imgur.com/10gIfIP.jpg

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

timwatson

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • N Scale Rail
« Reply #828 on: February 28, 2019, 10:18:26 PM »
Thank for posting this Mark. I can attest that a few extra seconds for people is a better way to go and at least medium supports. My next batch will be with mixed medium/heavy supports as I’ve cut the bases off mine.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.
Tim Watson
My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nscalerail/sets/

Technology, new ideas and model railroading.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #829 on: March 01, 2019, 07:10:43 AM »
Hi Cymen,

I'm not really doing anything special, that I'm aware of; just adding a few supports and printing them vertical. 
I do inspect each body scan and add a support to any appendage or clothing that overhangs or is otherwise unsupported. 

I aim to have at least one heavy support under the heal and another medium support under the ball of each foot (and a few more on those with bases, just for good measure).  When a support needs to go up to a hand or arm, Netfabb allows me to curve those supports so that they're far enough away from the actual part that they don't blend together.

Without photos, the only other thing I could suggest is to bump your exposure time by a second or two.  At this size, undercurring is more likely to fail than overcurring, so caution on the side of overcure. 

(Here's another comment opportunity for @David K. Smith. :D )

https://i.imgur.com/10gIfIP.jpg

This image reveals much to me, but not regarding the hard hat man's appendage.

Thanks for posting.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #830 on: March 01, 2019, 07:52:03 AM »
They need some bug repellent.

(There you go, @Mark W!)

Thunderhawk

• Respect: +3
« Reply #831 on: March 01, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
Replaced the FEP and it pops pretty noticeably now. And the build plate seems to move up a fair bit before the pop. This is on the base layers so there is a LOT of surface on the FEP.

Normal I assume?

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #832 on: March 01, 2019, 06:26:05 PM »
Replaced the FEP and it pops pretty noticeably now. And the build plate seems to move up a fair bit before the pop. This is on the base layers so there is a LOT of surface on the FEP.

Normal I assume?

Yep, more than normal.  To be expected.

Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Thunderhawk

« Reply #833 on: March 01, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
Yep, more than normal.  To be expected.

Very pleased with it so far except for having to replace the FEP already. Somehow managed to get a couple rough spots. Perhaps there was something small on the counter that I set it on, but it had a couple pretty sharp little dings in it. And then I made it worse by trying to scrape them off, before realizing it was the FEP itself, with my fingernail which left ridges in the film.

On the plus side, they shipped two spare FEP's with my printer so I still have a spare.

btw-The cap of a Gatorade bottle is just under 13mm for replacing the FEP.

Thunderhawk

« Reply #834 on: March 04, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
Ordering two more of these as I have to wait too long for test prints. Happy so far though.

Will likely get a Phrozen Tranform as well when they come out unless another big resin machine shows up before then.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »
+4
Norfolk and Western Leslie 5 chime horn.

It took me 3 tries to get it supported correctly, but I'm very happy with the results.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #836 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31:44 PM »
Maybe someday prints will only take a few minutes :

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #837 on: March 07, 2019, 05:52:04 AM »
Anyone happen to know of a file for HO scale wooden barrels?

I found one online and they wanted $1.30 for it. When I tired to buy it my ad blocker blocked something over 100,000 times! So luckily I didn't give them my credit card.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #838 on: March 07, 2019, 06:29:36 AM »
@Chris333 Got a pic?

Chris333

• Crew