Author Topic: Questions on Painting/ Sanding for final coats  (Read 828 times)

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
Questions on Painting/ Sanding for final coats
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
I've always struggled with final coats that have to look nice. Things like model cars that need a showroom shine and not be weathered.

In high school, I remember blasting a Chevy Impalla body with Testors Primer spray can, then blasting on some color and having it be less than perfect. I'd wet sand, and blast again, and it would basically look the same, getting locked in to an endless cycle of sanding and painting.
As I got older, I learned that this was largely to the shortcomings of trying control a spray can.

Fast forward to today. I have an airbrush and I am painting a FUD steam boiler and tender.
I sanded the FUD A LOT before priming. Then I used Tamiya fine white primer which did a great job of nice even coats. I sanded it a little but, and primed again. I think I put in 6 or so fine coats. After that, I hit it with Scalecoat II Brunswick Green. I enjoy painting with enamels. They really do shoot better.
Alas, I had some issues on the tender and needed to sand.
I wet sanded with 600 grit and in my efforts to even it all out, went down to the bare FUD in some places.

So, what do I do next?
Do I need to prime again?
I'm also worried about those small ridges along the sanding edge showing through.
What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"