Author Topic: Keystone Details announces two new PRR truck frames  (Read 1673 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Keystone Details announces two new PRR truck frames
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
+3
Keystone Details is now offering two new classes of PRR truck frames.

PRR Class 2F-F2:

These unique N Scale 100 ton trucks were found under many PRR F-22 and F-23 flats. They were also used under G22B gondolas and H-27 hoppers. (per online sources)  These trucks are designed for the 0.540" x 33' wheelsets of your choice.  Some cleaning in the axle point pockets with a Dremel 105 engraving bit after print cleaning may be required for smooth rolling characteristics.  An MT bolster pin will fit the bolster hole for mounting under your model. 

PRR Class 2D-P3:

This PRR Class 2D-P3 two axle passenger truck was used on some B60b baggage cars, lasting into the 1960's.  Images of these trucks can be seen in Pennsylvania Baggage and Mail cars, by authors Robert A. Liljestrand and David R. Sweetland.  Use with your favorite 36" X 0.540" wheelsets.  Minor cleaning in the axle pockets with a Dremel #105 engraving bit may be necessary for smooth rolling.  Designed for use on the Hellgate Models B60b baggage car kits. Does not inculde 0.540" x 36" wheelsets or Micro-Trains bolster pin.

Note these trucks can be used to replace the original trucks supplied with the car as well.

Thanks in advance for looking.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
Re: Keystone Details announces two new PRR truck frames
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
The 2F-F2  trucks appear to have a recessed bolster.  Can you confirm or is it something I am seeing in the digital image.  If it is in fact recessed, can you tell us how much?  Are crown trucks on your radar?  Those would require a significant recessed bolster to correct a Bowser H21A’s ride height.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
The 2F-F2  trucks appear to have a recessed bolster.  Can you confirm or is it something I am seeing in the digital image.  If it is in fact recessed, can you tell us how much?  Are crown trucks on your radar?  Those would require a significant recessed bolster to correct a Bowser H21A’s ride height.  Thanks.

Jeff

@ai5629 , you have a good eye. They are recessed to match the Atlas/BLMA Barber S2 A ride height at 0.15" above the rail. Crown trucks are next. What dimension off the rail would you want the bolster? Woul prefer to match the BLMA height if possible. The bowser trucks are awful and inflexible, IMHO.

I design my trucks over photos to get the looks right, and use the wheel diameter to position the frame correctly above the rail. Then I design the bolster off the rail head. These are designed to match a potential product offering.

The lower the bolster, the better, IMHO. Folks can add MT washers if they need more height.

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
It sounds like you are taking an approach that will produce a much better ride height with the Bowser H21a’s.  I did not have a specific height in mind, just an overall desire to drop the cars so that they look better.  Designing things like this are way over my head.  Therefore, I look forward to seeing what you are able to do.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »

Jeff

@ai5629 my research shows there were several different PRR Classes of truck manufactured by Crown munted under the various PRR H21 classes, 2E-F1 (two coil), 2E-F2 (three coil, bowser), and 2E-F1a.  Trucks classes 2D-F2 and 2F-F1 were not used under the H21 class hopper.

I think the differences may just be in load ratings except for the number of springs...

Which specific class of truck are you looking for on the H21?

I will likely do all five classes made by crown, but I can prioritize yours.

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »
I finally got a chance to do some research regarding the H21A truck types.  The 2E-F2 seem to be the most common type seen on the H21A's.  A well rendered version of this truck type with a recessed bolster would go a long way to improve the ride height and overall look of those Bowser cars.  (Something to consider: Bowser's Crown truck has somewhat of a recessed bolster, and the car still rides high.)  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »
I finally got a chance to do some research regarding the H21A truck types.  The 2E-F2 seem to be the most common type seen on the H21A's.  A well rendered version of this truck type with a recessed bolster would go a long way to improve the ride height and overall look of those Bowser cars.  (Something to consider: Bowser's Crown truck has somewhat of a recessed bolster, and the car still rides high.)  Thanks.

Jeff

@ai5629 Please keep in mind that by lowering the bolster, I am lowering the car.  this will have an affect on coupler height which I cannot control.  Of course one can always add MT washers.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Any hope for a 2D-F1? In O?

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »
@ai5629 Please keep in mind that by lowering the bolster, I am lowering the car.  this will have an affect on coupler height which I cannot control.  Of course one can always add MT washers.

I have been thinking about switching my H21a’s to Atlas Andrews trucks due to the recessed bolster in the Atlas truck.    Here is a photo of one car with stock Crown trucks next to one car with Atlas Andrews trucks.  And one more photo with the MTL height gauge next to the hoppper with Andrews trucks.  Coupler height should be OK.  If not, 1015’s in a 2004 box will bring the coupler up due to the 2004’s thinner box.  This is the direction I want to go with these cars.  Thanks for allowing me to give my input. 

Jeff

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:08:47 PM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez