Author Topic: Bachman SD9  (Read 3445 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
Re: Bachman SD9
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »
Oof. I just send an offer, but that was pre-meltdown lol

OK these use the same basic truck design as the 2nd gen C40-8, with an additional wiper layer attached due to intermittent contact issues. It also looks like it uses the solder-unfriendly shiny black metal.

One of the things that helped my Dash engines a lot was to cut some plastic away from the axle wiper numbs. I was finding that the rotation of the wheel would torque just enough to start to climb the circular plastic surrounding the nub, eliminating contact. Of course the engine would then stop, the wheel settles to the center of the axle and regains contact. This would produce very jerky operation. Squaring out the axle holes kept the nubs in contact even when the axle moved a bit under torque.

You can even see the poor contact in the center wheel set. The blackening hasn't worn off like the others.

The wheel-back wipers only appear to contact the outside wheels. There is also no apparent electrical link to the axle nub wipers. There appears to be a small screw, but I'm not sure what that connects to. The plastic weld to keep the parts in place could very well be insulating them from each other.

One other note. I noticed the gears are on the same side of the engine. I believe one side is mounted incorrectly as the C40-8 had each facing the opposite direction like all manufacturers do. [the only exception to this is the 44 and 70 tonner that need the truck hears oriented in one direction]

This could very well be causing the derailments.

I have several of the SD45/Dash style trucks in my inventory. I'm not sure they will work perfectly, but I think they might.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
Roof fans weak in my opinion (compare to Atlas/Kato)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

(This post poofed when the RW went down)

Mark

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »
Botchmann at it again.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 09:23:58 PM »
I forgot to check to see if Bachmann used "ramps" in spots where there should be steps (like they did on the GP7) - will check if I remember. :lol:

Mark

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

TinyTrains

• Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 12:29:30 AM »
Has anyone tried to put an old Atlas shell on the Bachman? I have several Atlas with details I like, but they are too old and hard to convert to DCC (yes, I have done plenty of CNs decoders). If the shells fit, it would be a lot easier.

Thanks,
Scott

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +122
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
"It's sad that you have to die to see how many people loved you..." - Rodney Bingenheimer

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
One other note. I noticed the gears are on the same side of the engine. I believe one side is mounted incorrectly as the C40-8 had each facing the opposite direction like all manufacturers do. [the only exception to this is the 44 and 70 tonner that need the truck hears oriented in one direction]

My replacement SD9 arrived in the mail today. The truck gears are oriented the same as on my last one (IE all on the same side). So, maybe that is correct for these models?

No running problems yet. We'll see how things look in a few hours.

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +421
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
I finished testing my replacement SD9 and didn't have any major problems. That said, there are a few minor issues common between the two (noise, mainly), so I can only give them a "B" rating.

-Mark

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +922
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »
I finished testing my replacement SD9 and didn't have any major problems. That said, there are a few minor issues common between the two (noise, mainly), so I can only give them a "B" rating.

-Mark

That comment struck me funny --- especially since this is a sound equipped model ---

My warped sense of humor --

Wolf