Author Topic: Radon Gulch div. DRGW  (Read 288 times)

drbnc

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Radon Gulch div. DRGW
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
Oki-doki... New HOn3 layout here, taking a break from N scale for a bit.  Plus, I just retired way too early 3 weeks ago and have been wanting to do this for a while.  Radon Gulch division of the D&RGW, set in the 1920's-present day, whatever present day is.  Doesn't really follow a prototype, other than having some Blackstone locomotives (K-27's and C-19's) and rolling stock.  Awesome stuff, by the way, for us "out of the box" modelers. 

Anyway, attached is a track plan (switching layout) that takes radium ore from the Forster-Garner radium mines in New Mexico (western part of NM near Gallup/Grants) and generating Torbena water (tank cars) and Radonite chunks for further use downstream.  Anything for a buck, eh?   :o

Squares are 12", so 9+' x 8'.  Peco code 70; the track gang "just said no" to crossings and hand-laid track.  And Thunder Mesa Studios has been a BIG influence on this.  Love the whimsey!

I have my Monkey Butt powder out, so blaze away!  Thoughts?

One source:  https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/quackcures/torbena.htm

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
Re: Radon Gulch div. DRGW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
+1
  Much agreement on the Blackstone comment !! I'm waiting on a shipment of curveable homasote  for the 4x8ish Rio Grande .  Can't wait for the k28 and 36 is !

Peter S

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »
The Turntable looks great, have you got a turntable in mind? Often the dimensions of these things are greater when you have to build the box to support them?

drbnc

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »
No specific turntable yet.  That's just a placeholder for planning.  I'll probably scratchbuild something once I get that far on the overall build.