Author Topic: Bachmann Announcements. Sign of the times?  (Read 3415 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Re: Bachmann Announcements. Sign of the times?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 10:35:42 PM »
Wow, those On30 reefers are up to $75!!!

Seriously, that much for a narrow gauge reefer?  Who do they think they are...Blackstone?   :D

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
Seriously, that much for a narrow gauge reefer?  Who do they think they are...Blackstone?   :D
Most likely they do
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 11:17:35 AM »
I think Bachmann figures a reasonable selling price for their product, then adds a substantial amount to that to create MSRP.  It seems to be a way to capture the part of the "Christmas train" market that does not have space for a Lionel, but at Lionel prices. Prices then fall until they reach a level reflective of their fidelity to prototype and level of detail.

I recently saw some of the Bachmann N scale "Budd" (in fact, only the coach is a model of an actual prototype) cars, advertised at prices 1/3 of MSRP.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 11:43:46 AM »
I recently saw some of the Bachmann N scale "Budd" (in fact, only the coach is a model of an actual prototype) cars, advertised at prices 1/3 of MSRP.
Are you suggesting that the observation car is not a model of an actual prototype car?

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »
Are you suggesting that the observation car is not a model of an actual prototype car?
Note that I was referencing the Budd model, not the smoothside.  My understanding is that the Budd observation (or observation with a Budd roof) has the window pattern of Rock Island "La Miranda", which is a Pullman Standard prototype.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=40372.msg498419#msg498419

The smoothside cars are, I believe, accurate to prototypes, although as per usual with passenger cars, painted in a variety of schemes that include many that are not accurate for the prototype car modeled, due to the variation of passenger cars between railroads.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »
E-catalogue will not work on my Win 10 laptop.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »
I asked today about the DCC readiness of the GP40, the gentleman I spoke too had zero idea. Said there may have not been any room with the old mech to add the speaker and such...so sounds like he was clue less on it.

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
Mighty thin catalog of new announcements. Haven't ever seen one that small. Could this be a sign of the times?

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_KC2018/html5/

Just glancing through the Bachmann Europe web site, it looks like they have a lot of products available. Maybe the Kader factory is busy producing Bachmann Branchline and Graham Farish trains?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
+1
Just glancing through the Bachmann Europe web site, it looks like they have a lot of products available. Maybe the Kader factory is busy producing Bachmann Branchline and Graham Farish trains?

And Liliput too.  Both Graham Farish and Liliput brands have some really nice (European prototype) N scale models.
. . . 42 . . .