Author Topic: Memory Card Issue  (Read 552 times)

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Memory Card Issue
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
Hello everyone, I've been having some trouble with my new memory card.  Maybe two weeks ago I had room for over a 1,000 pictures, but last night it said I only had room for less than ten.  On my new laptop it used to be able to transfer photos, but now when I put it in the memory card slot it says its empty, like I've not put anything in there?  It works on my old laptop though oddly enough.  Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?  :?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1640
    • DKS Home
Re: Memory Card Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »
Recommendations. First, get anything still on the card off of it. Then reformat the card using your camera. (There should be instructions with the camera on how to do this.)

If the card reformats correctly, you should be OK, but take some pics and try the card in other devices to see how it behaves.

One more thing, these cards have "locks" to protect data, and they can easily be flipped to the wrong setting, causing odd behavior on different devices.

Note, too, that these cards do not last forever. Flash memory goes bad after a while, and once this happens, it's time to ditch it and buy a new card. I know you said it's a new card, but like any modern microelectronic device, there is the occasional "crib death."

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:55:55 PM by David K. Smith »
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

High Hood

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
Okay, I formatted the card in my camera and I got my storage space back!  Thanks David.

I did try it again in my new laptop, but it still says disk drive is empty. I tried it again on my old one and it works on it.  So I tried my old card 4GB I was using, but my laptop will not recognize it either.  So neither card works on my new laptop now, but my new card works on my old laptop.  Perhaps the problem is on my laptop?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1640
    • DKS Home
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »
It sounds like it may be a driver issue. Some machines require drivers to recognize external devices. An online search may yield the answer for you.
"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +228
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
Can you give us the specs?  What kind of card?  Who makes it?  What is the spec of your new laptop?

How are your reading your memory card between the new laptop and the old laptop?  Separate USB card reader or a slot in your laptop?

High Hood

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
An update: turns out the problem was the contact strips on the card adapter were dirty.  Cleaned them off with some alcohol and it worked again!