Author Topic: NEW Bachmann N-Scale Sound Equipped 2-8-0  (Read 3834 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1895
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: NEW Bachmann N-Scale Sound Equipped 2-8-0
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
Does it still have the solid drivers (where you can't see through the spokes) ?   To me, that was always the egregious cosmetic flaw in the 2-8-0, which was otherwise a really beautifully detailed engine.

I'll expand on this question about poorly rendered drivers.

Has Bachmann ever made any N scale steam loco model with see-through realistic spoked drivers?
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
Produced a short video, please excuse the mess and lack of production values.

Harold

The loco starts pretty abruptly on speed step 1 (of 28).  Changing to 128 steps helps.  On my test loop, on step 1 of 128, it took the loco 3 minutes and 20 seconds to make it just halfway around, making a scale speed of 5.89 smph.  There was absolutely no glitch the whole way -  extremely smooth.  Gotta start looking into momentum settings.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
+1

Has Bachmann ever made any N scale steam loco model with see-through realistic spoked drivers?

The PRR K4 has see through spoked drivers.  I just checked one of mine.  I don't recall whether the light or heavy 4-8-2 or 2-10-2 had see through drivers.  I had all of these steamers at one time, but sold them off.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 09:18:57 PM »
The PRR K4 has see through spoked drivers.  I just checked one of mine.  I don't recall whether the light or heavy 4-8-2 or 2-10-2 had see through drivers.  I had all of these steamers at one time, but sold them off.

Thanks!
--- Peteski de Snarkski

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
Produced a short video, please excuse the mess and lack of production values.

Harold

Why does it have a whistle from an N&W 'A'?

~Ian
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

hminky

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 10:52:17 PM »
+1
Why does it have a whistle from an N&W 'A'?

~Ian
Because that was the last one I loaded from the sixteen available.

Just liked the sound of  that type whistle.

Harold
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:11:33 PM by hminky »

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 11:28:28 PM »
Because that was the last one I loaded from the sixteen available.

Just liked the sound of  that type whistle.

Harold

Fair enough.. my favorite whistle too..  (and the nkp 765)
Don't Neglect the Jewel Case!

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 10:28:26 PM »

A slip of silvered or pale grey paint in between will cosmetically fool the eye into believing they are open- trompe l'oeil effect.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
A slip of silvered or pale grey paint in between will cosmetically fool the eye into believing they are open- trompe l'oeil effect.

That might be so, but we shouldn't  have to put up with "fake" spokes in N scale steam.  Heck, 40+ year old Arnold and Minitrix models have drivers with see-through spoke centers.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +897
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
That might be so, but we shouldn't  have to put up with "fake" spokes in N scale steam.  Heck, 40+ year old Arnold and Minitrix models have drivers with see-through spoke centers.

That's about what I was going to say, but you beat me too it. 
Well, that, and I resent them "re-introducing" the model with a much higher price, where the only thing they did was add a decoder and sound instead of addressing engineering and cosmetic flaws.  It's like they know they have a cash cow in the 2-8-0 and they want to milk it without doing any hard work.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
It's like they know they have a cash cow in the 2-8-0 and they want to milk it without doing any hard work.

Can't really blame them for that, considering the market situation.  I'm just glad that they keep producing that locomotive. Most of their designs are "discontinued", even the really good ones.

Maybe somebody here can make some after-market true spoked drivers, properly gauged, quartered, etc. and sell them to all of the people out there who really want spoked drivers.  With the large number of these locos out there, if there is really much unhappiness with the drivers, those better ones should sell in substantial numbers.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +123
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 01:35:11 AM »
+1
Can't really blame them for that, considering the market situation.  I'm just glad that they keep producing that locomotive. Most of their designs are "discontinued", even the really good ones.

I could use a couple more C&O H-4 2-6-6-2's or even H-6's.  Used ones on Ebay are approaching $275.  Of course, new from Bachmann would have an Economi sound and MSRP @ $450 or $499.   :scared:

I'd like Bachmann to make a C&O H-8 Allegheny, but the VP that pushed the C&O models passed away a couple years ago so that's not probable any more.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:48:45 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »
In my opinion, the biggest disappointment with this locomotive, it still does not have a working front coupler and the MSRP is $399. 

Have have not seen any comments yet on the "Detailed Cab Interior" Just how detailed is the cab? 
Rich S.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2713
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
+2
I always thought the reason the B-mann 2-8-0 was so large was because of the motor. If they have a small motor now I would rather see a smaller 2-8-0.

Also I laugh. The decoder is called "Econami", but it's in a $400 loco.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 06:16:44 PM »
                    :|  Received my two locomotives from Hogtrainz. My layout is CVP Wireless DC so I cannot fully test them or adjust CV's until the Wasatch N Scale layout is set up at another show. My Western Pacific locomotive seems to have a pilot that hangs too low and snags on rail joiners on my layout, the Union Pacific locomotive does not have this issue, this will warrant further comparison  of the two locos. Out of the box on DC you get nice steam sound, some flange  (brake?) squeal at a certain speeds the bell. These locomotives should have nice sound, even if the speaker in the tender is not replaced. A Zed scale front coupler is definitely needed. The WP locomotive has not only the white running board stripes and driver and pilot wheel white wall effect, but the tender wheels are also outlined which I do not believe the prototype had. The number 619 on the UP locomotive is for subsidiary Oregon Short Line O.S.L. and the initials appear like on the prototype with the rear tender number. This group of locomotives were delivered with non vandy tenders which looked like that on the model originally then were modified. Locomotive 618 was donated by the railroad to The state of Utah, with a Vanderbult tender, on display at the Utah State Fairgrounds, it later ended up on the Heber Creeper Wasatch Mountain Scenic Railway. It is currently disassembled for federally mandated rebuilding, and if the work ever gets done the plan was to use a standard tender if one could be located. The 619 was scrapped in 1948.                                                                       Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.   :|
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:53:52 PM by Nato »