Author Topic: Never mind -- Slow speed problems with Atlas N scale locos?  (Read 3889 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Never mind -- Slow speed problems with Atlas N scale locos?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
In that case, peteski seems anxious to investigate why your Atlas locos "don't run great when compared to [your] SW1s" and are "maybe not as smooth as [your] SW1s at tie crawling speeds".
He may be able to find a way to make the Atlas locos perform as well or better than the Arnold locos.

I guess you understood me.  But coosvalley does not seem to be interested in trying to improve the running quality of his terribly running Atlas locos (when compared to the ultra-smooth SW1). I also wouldn't say I was anxious - I was just thinking of making coosvalley's hobby experience better, by making those locos run smoother.  Trying to be helpful.  Should not do that in the future.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:55:09 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
In that case, peteski seems anxious to investigate why your Atlas locos "don't run great when compared to [your] SW1s" and are "maybe not as smooth as [your] SW1s at tie crawling speeds".
He may be able to find a way to make the Atlas locos perform as well or better than the Arnold locos.
OK, but it really wasn't a complaint about Atlas, it was more about giving a nod to the running quality of the SW1s, nothing more.Specifically, their excellent performance at TIE COUNTING SPEEDS(which means very slow :facepalm:).. I , personally, think the SW1s are much better at such. BUT, and I repeat, BUT, that's just my opinion. I am not looking to upgrade anything, or asking for help in doing so.  I didn't even think it warranted further discussion :facepalm:

I am not unhappy with(most) of my Atlas diesels.  I do have one with a slipping universal/driveshaft, but that's a different discussion.

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated at having to explain myself and when I was joking..

I feel like we made a mountain out of a molehill comment.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
Okay kids jfrst  :D :D :D :trollface:
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated at having to explain myself and when I was joking..

I feel like we made a mountain out of a molehill comment.

I agree. Last night I asked the moderators to remove this thread as it really serves no useful purpose. Hopefully they will do that soon.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
+2
After the original remark about Atlas locos was posted, I tested the Arnold against an Atlas/Kato RS-1, which is a very smooth, low-speed-running engine. The RS-1 is no match for the SW-1.

It's not hard to understand. The SW-1 gear ratio is 36:1. The RS-1 ratio is 20:1.   Unless you really screw something up bad, an increase in gear ratio like that is always going to get you better performance. That's why I'm always beating the drum about gearheads and high ratios.

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm glad someone else noticed !..For a VERY tiny loco, they can run amazingly well, especially if you ditch the traction tires. And, of course, I had to re-gauge the wheelsets to work well on C55 track. But both projects were fairly easy, and well worth it.

I'm surprised at the difference in the gear ratios, but I suspected that was a large factor.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
I'm glad someone else noticed !..For a VERY tiny loco, they can run amazingly well, especially if you ditch the traction tires. And, of course, I had to re-gauge the wheelsets to work well on C55 track. But both projects were fairly easy, and well worth it.

I'm surprised at the difference in the gear ratios, but I suspected that was a large factor.

Yes, the gear ratio is nice and high (well chosen for a switcher loco). I think another (or really the main) reason why they chose that gear ratio was due to them using tiny inexpensive coreless motor. These run at higher rpms than the standard open-fame motors.  So to keep the top speed reasonable Arnold utilized the higher ratio gears. The added benefit is more torque, and slower/smoother minimum speed.  Now I see where coosvalley is coming from. My nee-jerk reaction of trying to help was a response to him stating that his Atlas loco are terrible runners.  No need to rehash this - I get it.
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 02:31:19 PM »
Or, "Seemed like when compared to", or whatever :P

I know things are slow around here, but twisting my words to make up a situation to discuss seems silly to me.

I stand by my statement that my" Atlas diesels seem like terrible runners when COMPARED TO (and that last parts important) my SW1s." But they are not actually terrible runners. There may have been some slight exaggeration to the statement, but I figured most readers would catch that. Therein lies my mistake :facepalm:

If it's going to keep anyone up at night, just try to understand :
I prefer the slow speed running characteristics of the SW1 over that of my Atlas locos.It's my opinion and you don't have to agree or even care.

Lets all go model something now, and let this thread go away quietly.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
Or, "Seemed like when compared to", or whatever :P

I know things are slow around here, but twisting my words to make up a situation to discuss seems silly to me.

I stand by my statement that my" Atlas diesels seem like terrible runners when COMPARED TO (and that last parts important) my SW1s." But they are not actually terrible runners. There may have been some slight exaggeration to the statement, but I figured most readers would catch that. Therein lies my mistake :facepalm:

If it's going to keep anyone up at night, just try to understand :
I prefer the slow speed running characteristics of the SW1 over that of my Atlas locos.It's my opinion and you don't have to agree or even care.

Lets all go model something now, and let this thread go away quietly.

I said that I understood where you were coming from. And here we are again.   :|  Lets analyze this again.

Yes, as Max eluded to, SW1's design gives them better slow speed operation than great majority of Atlas diesels (assuming that the electrical contact between the tracks and wheels is very good).  Since you brought it up, here is your original statement: Atlas diesels seem like terrible runners when COMPARED TO my SW1s.  Yes, it is an exaggeration, and the word "terrible" is  not a slight exaggeration to me.    Your made a terrible excuse calling it just a "slight exaggeration".  From the facts I know now, it was a gigantic exaggeration:) Your problem sounded so terrible that it actually made me start this thread hoping to make your Atlas locos run better.

Looking back at this whole thing, if you put a smiley after that sentence, it would have made things cleared. Or if you stated "Atlas locos have a poor slow-speed performance compared to my SW1" would not have me perk up hoping to help you out with your Atlas locos.  BUt you're right, like we already mentioned few times, it would be good to let this thread die. Let's see who is the better man.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »
+1
Can we drop this already?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:19:07 PM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +713
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
+1
Can we stop this already?
Apparently not, until we determine who is the the better man.

(Almost forgot:  :|)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:48 AM »
Can we drop this already?

Ummm...no.  The is TRW, home of the  :ashat:

:D

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
+1
Let's not determine who the better man is.