Author Topic: Replacement axle/wheels for BLI traction-tired ones? Anybody?  (Read 455 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +318
I probably should just ask BLI but some people here may have already switched these out and know what part I need. Their first version of an E7 seemed to be a transition mixing '70s N scale to post-KATO. They had needle-point axles but a wire soldered to the pickup shoes, traction tires, and lots of wires to and from the speakers and DCC board -- wires way longer than they needed to be. Instead of soldering the wired to the board, they used sockets and plugs to make the connections. I should probably remove them and solder the wires right to the board. Anybody done an upgrade to a first run BLI loco?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:44:16 PM by OldEastRR »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2516
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Replacement axles for BLI traction-tired ones
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:31:30 AM »
Those pins and sockets are nice tightly-fitting gold-plated units - very reliable. At least in the BLI models I own. No need to eliminate them. But I have noticed some sloppy soldering work on the metal bearing/pickup plates. Also, the wire-harness rat's nest could use some trimming and rearranging.   Not a fan of the truck design either, but at least it is not the high-friction inside-bearing and wheel-wipers type.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:33:17 AM by peteski »
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +318
Re: Replacement axle/wheels for BLI traction-tired ones? Anybody?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
still looking