Author Topic: Trip to Prague & Salzburg  (Read 1182 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
Trip to Prague & Salzburg
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
+2
My wife and I accompanied the Univ North Carolina at Greensboro chorale on a performance trip to the Czech Republic and Austria.  It was billed as an "inter-generational experience".  About 40 university aged singers were joined by 8 "old folks" from the community.  My wife is the singer.

Being a group tour I didn't get to explore the rail systems as much as I'd have liked.  We stayed near the Andel Metro station in Prague which allowed me to experience streetcars (trams) the way they used to be run in this country years ago:  Fast and frequent.  Fortuitously, Trains ran a Commentary piece by Brian Solomon in the April issue encouraging railfans to check out the Czech Republic.  He wasn't fooling.  Czech out the street trackage. 

Modern equipment too.

They also sang in Vienna.  We rode a tram and the underground but I did not take photos.

Imagine my delight when we checked into our room in Salzburg and discovered the window overlooked the rail station!  Imagine my Wife's groan.

The back end of a fast Railjet set arriving.  I watched one of these trains overtake the tour bus while motoring on the Austrian version of the autobahn.  Impressive.

I even got to see some freight action.

And oh yeah, the choir sang in some beautiful spaces, we drank good beer and saw lots of sights.  The performances were well received.  The group travel was tedious at times but it was a nice break from the work grind.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Trip to Prague & Salzburg
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
You missed @peteski by that much.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
What a small world. My brother was a music major at UNCG in the 70's! I went to Kiser Jr. High.

Very nice photos. Do they still run any of the old PCC cars over there?

Ron

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
What a small world. My brother was a music major at UNCG in the 70's! I went to Kiser Jr. High.

Very nice photos. Do they still run any of the old PCC cars over there?

Ron

Solomon said the PCCs were gone and I did not see one.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
Solomon said the PCCs were gone and I did not see one.

Actually the T3 in your first pic is a PCC descendant, although modernized with a lowered central section to accommodate ADA style accessibility, see pics I took, below. (There were over 14,000 of T1's - T3's built, many times the number of the original PCC's).
Otto K. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:23:01 PM by Cajonpassfan »

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
Quite true Otto.  When I saw it I read "PCC" and made sure I got a photo.  I saw another model that looks somewhere between the T series and the modern looking things.  I think there were four different designs rolling by Andel.  Stand there 15 minutes and you see them all.  Cool stuff.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
You missed @peteski by that much.

LOL!  yes, by few weeks and about 194 miles (as the swallow flies).  :D
I was in PoznaƄ, which also has an extensive trolley network. I'll post some photos later, in another thread.

Here is an old trolley converted to a Cafe. I remember riding these in the '70s.

And one of the modern ones.

. . . 42 . . .