Author Topic: Micro-Trains coupler conversion for ScaleTrains ET44AC locomotives  (Read 2162 times)

upbnsffan

• Respect: 0
Are the ScaleTrains ET44AC locomotives easy to convert to Micro-Trains couplers?   
Do you have to use the ScaleTrains coupler boxes, or can you use pre-assembled 1015 or 2004 couplers?
Or would extended couplers such as 1016's be required to clear the snowplows and other details?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I'm still deciding whether to purchase one.

Thanks,
Michael Gilbert
upbnsffan

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Micro-Trains coupler conversion for ScaleTrains ET44AC locomotives
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
The MT 1015 box is a direct fit into the ET44. Easy peasy.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

gkoproske

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
Not so easy peasy.  The ScaleTrains coupler body and the mounting receptacle on the nose and tail of the locomotive shell are narrower than the MT 1015.  You can't even get the 1015 started in the rectangular hole.  Attempting to grind down the sides of the 1015 does not strike me as easy peasy.

EL3632

• Crew
  • I like ALCOs.
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:27:13 PM »
The "easy peasy" way to convert any Scaletrains locomotive to Micro Trains couplers is to use the Scaletrains coupler box with Micro Trains couplers. The Scaletrains box is made to accept MT 1015 couplers. This includes re-mounting the centering spring (if you want the centering spring, some don't). I have converted 5 Scaletrains engines (3 C39, D9, & ET44) to Micro Trains so far using the existing Scaletrains coupler boxes on the locomotives and it is not the most difficult thing in the world, but not "easy peasy" by most standards.
Modeling the Erie Lackawanna and Delaware & Hudson in 1975, and Conrail and the Delaware & Hudson in 1981.

I want an N Scale GE U33/34/36C!

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
“This includes re-mounting the centering spring (if you want the centering spring, some don't).”

With M-T couplers the spring performs two functions....centering and closure of the knuckle and pawl shanks.  Without the spring you don’t have much of a coupler but you might get the slinky effect if it does stay coupled!!

Charlie Vlk

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:40:12 PM »
The MT 1015 box is a direct fit into the ET44. Easy peasy.

Not quite - as others have mentioned (and this is the way Scale Trains has been doing it all along), is to open their coupler box, remove their coupler innards, and replace them with MT coupler innards (the 2 part coupler head and shank, and the spring).  The Scale Trains coupler box remains on the model. 
. . . 42 . . .

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
Let's see -- the choice seems to be between Door #1: a little filing on the sides of a 1015 coupler box (and maybe even widening the draft gear slot on the loco), or Door #2: disassembling and reassembling an MT coupler.

Going with Door #1 seems easier and peasier.

NSMR #1975, RMR #4

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »
Let's see -- the choice seems to be between Door #1: a little filing on the sides of a 1015 coupler box (and maybe even widening the draft gear slot on the loco), or Door #2: disassembling and reassembling an MT coupler.

Going with Door #1 seems easier and peasier.

My thought is exactly the opposite. But then, as an  N-scaler I'm used to workings with tiny assemblies and springs.  Dealing with coupler parts swap is IMO much quicker and less fussy than filing the coupler box made from slippery plastic that is not the most friendly to filing, then getting the shavings that got inside the coupler out, then screwing it in.  Call me silly.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +237
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
I'm an N scaler too. Filing slippery Delrin plastic is easy with the proper file and sanding stick. Keeping filings out involves a little tape.

But you do it your way. I'll do it mine.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:47:58 PM by signalmaintainer »
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »
I swapped the guts out on my ST couplers. I think it took all of 5 minutes. Either way you choose to do it, it’s a worthwhile conversion.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.