Author Topic: Bowser Airslide Hopper  (Read 2104 times)

conrail1973

• Crew
  • Respect: +104
Bowser Airslide Hopper
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
Hey,

I had the chance to pick up the Airslide hopper from Bowser (MILW and BN), and I'm impressed with some of the changes from the Delaware Valley offerings.  I decided to compare the Bowser MILW airslide with the Delaware Valley BO airlside,

1. The lettering and markings are a step up from the Delaware Valley cars.  I found an image of MILW 109947, and it is spot on to the actual prototype.  I found an image of BO 619203 online, and it's amazing what lettering and markings were left off.

2.  The roof walk on the Bowser cars are a lot less thicker than the Delaware Valley cars.  I'm impressed that they were able to fix that. 

I'm impressed that Bowser and MTL have taken on the role of producing the 4180 Airslide, and I hope that the 4566 Airslide (Wonder Bread) will be designed and tooled in the next decade  :D

Thanks,
Adam

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:58:15 PM by conrail1973 »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1532
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Bowser Airslide Hopper
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
That roofwalk is a real improvement. And the lettering also looks crisper. Yeah Bowser!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +911
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
I've got all 3 versions of the BN airslide (DV, Early Bowser, and this run.. )

The early Bowser stuff has the thinner roof walk and better printing.. but this run knocks it out of the park.. Very happy with this run.. and the Latest run of the N5C.. I'm going to go back and order an N5 from the new run this week since this Conrail scheme doesn't have the "R" at the end for MOW service.

I'll try to post a comparison pic tonight.

~Ian

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
I can't tell from the photos, but I'm guessing that the couplers are now body mounted.

Mark

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
Can anyone compare the newest run to an MTL one?

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
Can anyone compare the newest run to an MTL one?

I can include an MT car in comparison.. tonight when I get pictures.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:59:03 AM by learmoia »

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
Pictures Pictures Pictures..

First Latest Run vs Early Bowser, vs DV

Top To Bottom: DV, Early Bowser, Late Bowser.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Right to Left: DV, Early Bowser, Late Bowser.

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
Early Bowser vs Late Bowser vs MT.

(For whatever reason, the latest Bowser run is using an odd color blue for the GATX cars.)

Top to Botton: Early Bowser, Late Bowser, MT

Right to Left: Early Bowser, Late Bowser, MT

Apples to Apples.. Straight out of the box, I'd say Micro Trains for the Win.. 
But the tooling is 30 years younger so it's not a fair comparison..

~Ian

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
I got a couple of the latest releases and the paint is much better, lettering sharper, body mounts, metal wheels and it seems like the car has a little added weight. The price makes it an excellent value.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
To me, the Delaware Valley/Bowser model's biggest flaw has always been the lack of underframe detail, or alternatively, a lack of aftermarket parts that could be used to upgrade the underframe details on the Delaware Valley/Bowser model in addition to the roofwalks, etc that were available from Plano or Gold Medal Models.

Given the MTL model addressed the lack of underframe detail on the Delaware Valley/Bowser model, it follows that any demand for new underframe details for the Delaware Valley/Bowser model would be significantly diminished.

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
To me, the Delaware Valley/Bowser model's biggest flaw has always been the lack of underframe detail, or alternatively, a lack of aftermarket parts that could be used to upgrade the underframe details on the Delaware Valley/Bowser model in addition to the roofwalks, etc that were available from Plano or Gold Medal Models.

Given the MTL model addressed the lack of underframe detail on the Delaware Valley/Bowser model, it follows that any demand for new underframe details for the Delaware Valley/Bowser model would be significantly diminished.

cjm413 - You're judging by todays standards and availability it seems.
1- Good models for when they were made and filled in missing groups AFAIK (only needed a few Bowser LO hoppers), and
2- After parts accessories have all but died. How many makers could stay in profitability with small detail parts. Most for N have closed/ gone, have they not? At least those most desperately needed parts.

Me, I could care less about under body bits that won't ever be seen on a running train (from normal viewing angles). Modellers may feel differently of course.
Detail parts, yeah I've put on a few to repair damaged goods that I want to turn into valid runners, but can't say it excites me.
Kitbashing, not much at all.
Fwiw, dave

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:29:32 AM »
The MT model doesn't really have any 'more' underframe detail, just that the tooling is finer, and the outlet pipe is a separate piece.

The Bowser model holds its own in today's world.. Now if Scale Trains were to do the model at Rivet Counter quality.. Then things get rediculous..

The Bowser model fits right in with the MT model, but I think both would look silly next to a scale trains model.

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 03:08:56 PM »
cjm413 - You're judging by todays standards and availability it seems.
1- Good models for when they were made and filled in missing groups AFAIK (only needed a few Bowser LO hoppers), and
2- After parts accessories have all but died. How many makers could stay in profitability with small detail parts. Most for N have closed/ gone, have they not? At least those most desperately needed parts.

Me, I could care less about under body bits that won't ever be seen on a running train (from normal viewing angles). Modellers may feel differently of course.
Detail parts, yeah I've put on a few to repair damaged goods that I want to turn into valid runners, but can't say it excites me.
Kitbashing, not much at all.
Fwiw, dave

There are alot of models that could be safely described as "good for when they were made"   However, none of them are immune to obsolescence, including the Kadee/MTL 40' PS-1 that many considered to be the gold standard of N scale freight cars.

Re: detail parts, I agree that the market for these parts has diminished, but I will point out that Gold Medal Models did offer a pretty comprehensive upgrade kit for the CS Shops NSC 4550 cuft covered hopper that included new end cages in addition to their usual new roofwalk and stirrups.   Etching may not have been ideal for Gold Medal Models to include separate outlet piping with their Delaware Valley Airslide upgrade set, but they weren't the only manufacturer that offered freight car details that were designed for a specific model.

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
The MT model doesn't really have any 'more' underframe detail, just that the tooling is finer, and the outlet pipe is a separate piece.

The Bowser model holds its own in today's world.. Now if Scale Trains were to do the model at Rivet Counter quality.. Then things get rediculous..

The Bowser model fits right in with the MT model, but I think both would look silly next to a scale trains model.

The separate outlet pipe may be one of the few upgrades on the underframe, but I could say the same thing when comparing the appearance of a car that has True Scale Couplers to one that doesn't.