Author Topic: Microtrains Rear Coupler Conversion for Bachmann Heavy Mountain Tender  (Read 1252 times)

joelm

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Gents:  My understanding is that the MicroTrains conversion for the rear coupler for the Bachmann Mountain Tender (Light and Heavy) is #2004-1. However, when I actually looked at the tender coupler area, the existing tapped hole was twice as far inboard as the coupler hole, and there was a rectangular hole in the coupler pocket area.  Can anyone offer any experience with this installation?   I have a couple of these.

Also, what have you done by way of a coupler for the front? I'm thinking a Z scale, but I'm open.....

Thanks, Joel 

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Given that the coupler screw hole is set back, I would suggest checking to see if the mounting area will accept a #1016 box.  If it does, the either the #1016 (standard) coupler knuckles, or the #1019 (offset) coupler knuckles would work.  The MTL-suggested use of the #2004 coupler suggests that the offset shank is required.  But it is possible that the design of the model has been modified since the original MTL solution was devised.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
+1
You can test for coupler height by just tacking a 1016 or 1023 under there with a dot of ACC or Walthers Goo, but my guess is that you're going to find that the coupler height will be too low unless you use one with an offset shank (where the coupler knuckle is higher than the coupler box).  Every Bachmann tender I've ever had required lots of filing to raise the coupler mounting area if I used a "straight" (not offset) coupler.

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
+1
You can use a 2004 underslung shank in a 1015 box. Works on most of Bachmann tenders.

Kind regards,
Bill

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
I really wish MTL offered coupler boxes separately.  I have 900 cars I need to modify to body mount where the truck box is just too big to mount.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
+1
MTL will sell you parts for a great many of their products if you contact them directly.  I've done this a few times, and found their prices and shipping to be reasonable, albeit not dirt cheap.  Since every part doesn't have it's own catalog number, you'll need to be able to describe the part pretty precisely, including the catalog number of the product that the part goes to.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
MTL will sell you parts for a great many of their products if you contact them directly.  I've done this a few times, and found their prices and shipping to be reasonable, albeit not dirt cheap.  Since every part doesn't have it's own catalog number, you'll need to be able to describe the part pretty precisely, including the catalog number of the product that the part goes to.

+1 on this.  I bought a lot of 50 1015 coupler boxes and lids from them once.  They were very helpful on the phone and the pricing was good.

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
I've sent Joe one of my Bachmann heavy mountains. He's never seen one so he said he will look at it and see what solution he can come up with.
As this is a nice locomotive that pulls well and was used by many railroads I thought the postage was worth the investment to get it right. I have eight of these.

Rick