Author Topic: Track Ties?  (Read 1123 times)

Weekendnscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
Track Ties?
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »
20* years ago I purchased a 500 pc.bag of brown Ties! Where can I buy another bag? Have no idea where they came from?
Thanks,
Mike

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +777
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Track Ties?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
I don’t know if anyone who sells prestained ties. A little brown wash goes a long ways.
Here are some options:
https://www.handlaidtrack.com/wt-n-c

https://www.kapplerusa.com/y2k/p-n-ties.htm

http://www.proto87.com/product1940.html
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +4077
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »
20* years ago I purchased a 500 pc.bag of brown Ties! Where can I buy another bag? Have no idea where they came from?
Thanks,
Mike

If you're talking N, I got a bag of pre-stained tied from Micro Engineering back in the day.  Can't speak to whether they're still available.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
Thanks,
Mike

Probably Railcraft (that's where I got my ties back when I handlaid my track). Railcraft somehow evolved into Micro-Engineering I think.

Damn, they don't sell ties anymore ...  :facepalm:

http://microengineering.com/products_ties.htm

Mark

TLOC

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
Fast Tracks via their Mt. Albert division sells 1000 unfinished ties for N for $20 USD.

TomO

Weekendnscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
Yes they were micro engineering ties! I remember the bag label.... Now....
Just ordered a bag of 1000.
Thanks,
Mike

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +251
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
Clover House has a couple stained tie offerings.

http://cloverhouse.com/Store/index.php?cPath=35_82

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 01:05:00 AM »
The Clover House stained ties I bought years ago were nice ties, but the stain is varied, and mostly light, perfect for well-used ties.  If you want new ties, for well maintained mainline, staining your own is your best bet.

Kappler Mill & Lumber also sells N scale ties.  http://www.kapplerusa.com/y2k/kp-main.htm
I like the note on their home page, worth reading even if you decide not to buy from them.
N Kalanaga
Be well

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 01:14:16 AM »
Around what year did wooden ties get replaced by PC board ties?
Under the streets of Los Angeles

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 01:29:31 AM »
They never did, at least in N scale.  The early users of code 40 rail tried gluing the rail to wooden ties, and found that it didn't stay in gauge very well.  So, they switched to PC ties back in the 70s, but even then they only used a PC tie every 3/4 to 1 inch, with wooden ties in between.  Very few. if any, modelers use only PC ties on "normal" track.  I did, under a custom crossing, because by the time I soldered all the parts down, there wasn't any place left toput a wooden tie, but that was an odd case.

Even the smallest spikes available in the late 60s and early 70s were too big for use with code 40 and pizza cutter flanges.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »
They never did, at least in N scale.  The early users of code 40 rail tried gluing the rail to wooden ties, and found that it didn't stay in gauge very well. 

In the 70s I glued my rail (Pliobond) to wooden ties and had no such problems (it was the best running track I ever had). For turnouts however, I decided to make ties from PC board that I had to cut myself - it was just too much for me to try to get all those rails in place with a hot iron at once!

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2067
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:34 AM »
+1
They never did, at least in N scale.

If you're referring to Clover House, they did indeed sell PC board ties, at least for a while. I bought some.

I was also one of the "very few if any" who used all PC board ties for handlaid track, as opposed to using them every few ties. I also peeled off the copper cladding except in little squares around the rails to simulate tie plates.

But I've always been different...

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:08:28 AM by David K. Smith »

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »
Even the smallest spikes available in the late 60s and early 70s were too big for use with code 40 and pizza cutter flanges.

That's true. Though the early Railcraft spikes had much thinner heads that the last MicroEngineering "small" spikes did. For this reason in the 80s I was experimenting with code 55 and spikes for my next layout.

Mark

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
David:  Yes, Clover House sold PC ties, and I used them on all of my narrow gauge track, as well as handlaid standard gauge turnouts.  Sorry for any confusion!  Your track does look good, especially the "tie plates".  Matching the color of wood and PC ties is almost impossible, unless the track is painted after laying.

The "never did" was actually an answer to MetroRedLine's question "When did PC ties replace wood ties", though I can see how it could have gotten mixed in with the Clover House posts.

I think the problem with Pliobond was probably twofold, and not really the fault of the glue.  I suspect that it didn't hold well if one used lower quality wood for the ties, and humidity changes would have put a lot of stress on glued track.  I never used Pliobond, but did use Seal-All, which one can still buy at hardware stores.  It held pretty well in Pasco, where the humidity stayed fairly low most of the year, but track brought to Kentucky when we moved fell apart the first year.
N Kalanaga
Be well

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2067
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
David:  Yes, Clover House sold PC ties, and I used them on all of my narrow gauge track, as well as handlaid standard gauge turnouts.  Sorry for any confusion!  Your track does look good, especially the "tie plates".  Matching the color of wood and PC ties is almost impossible, unless the track is painted after laying.

The "never did" was actually an answer to MetroRedLine's question "When did PC ties replace wood ties", though I can see how it could have gotten mixed in with the Clover House posts.

I think the problem with Pliobond was probably twofold, and not really the fault of the glue.  I suspect that it didn't hold well if one used lower quality wood for the ties, and humidity changes would have put a lot of stress on glued track.  I never used Pliobond, but did use Seal-All, which one can still buy at hardware stores.  It held pretty well in Pasco, where the humidity stayed fairly low most of the year, but track brought to Kentucky when we moved fell apart the first year.

Thanks for the clarification. I gave the Pliobond technique a try back in the mid-70s, and it worked surprisingly well. One trick to help ensure success is to sand the ties after laying them to make them true, and to create a good clean surface for bonding. But there are so many better methods today.

BTW, that's Z Scale track in the photo...