Author Topic: Olympia Hiawatha questions  (Read 536 times)

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
Olympia Hiawatha questions
« on: March 04, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
I have two questions, one is a model question and one is a prototype question.

Model question - I got one that is DCC but no sound. I am thinking of upgrading it with Loksound and sugarcubes but there is no place for speakers so I am wondering where they milled the chassis for a speaker. I don't think it was the fuel tank because the motor sits low so clearance is tight, possibly at the rear above the truck.

Prototype question - the FP7A's come with two headlights that are lit with a single LED and I am unable to find any videos online of the train with the FP7A, just steam. Does the diesel have two headlights or is it like ATSF with a Mars light and headlight? Richmond Controls has a nice kit for that which I have installed several times.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
    • Modutrak
Re: Olympia Hiawatha questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:56:03 PM »
I placed my speaker in the rear of the B unit, after removing that blob of metal at the back, see picture. lack of lights makes the wiring that much simpler. I also used the Dual EMD 567 file (E8, E9 etc) to provide 2 separate prime movers for the cost of one. I also put a single 567 in one of the A units in the same place to give me 3 diesel prime mover sounds with 2 sound decoders and a Lokpilot.
The top light was a Mars light, the lower a headlight

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +374
Re: Olympia Hiawatha questions
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
Prototype question - the FP7A's come with two headlights that are lit with a single LED and I am unable to find any videos online of the train with the FP7A, just steam.