Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Feb 15/18  (Read 777 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Thursday Proto Photo, Feb 15/18
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
+1

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +527
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Feb 15/18
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
+1

An old soldier working yesterday in Silver Spring, MD.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Xmtrman

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »

A rolling moonshine still to stay one step ahead of the revenooers.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
+1
One of the last N&W Hi-Nose units left - earning its keep February 12, 2018 in Fostoria, OH (Built 9-73 as a part of a 11 unit order):

Photo by Robbman

[EDIT: looks like google photos has gone south - I was trying to save  :tommann: the trouble of hosting this. :facepalm:)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:22:50 PM by Mark5 »

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:24 AM »
+1
The sun was coming and going all day as we chased the Finger Lakes turn from Geneva to Solvay and back on Sunday 8 October 2017. The company on the day, a pair of GE B23-7s, seen here at Cayuga Lake, and the occasional burst of sun made for a great chase.

Finger Lakes at Lake Cayuga by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +241
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
For my birthday this year I got tickets to ride the Credit Valley Explorer, so on the weekend we braved the snowy weather and headed to Orangeville, Ont. Not only is Orangeville the starting point of the tour train, it is also the place where rotary snow plows were first invented! We got there a little bit early and watched them switch cars around in preparation for the trip. @rapidotrains' sleeping car Edmunston was the first car moved around.

The trip itself was very scenic, with the Niagara escarpment and Forks of the Credit region covered in fresh snow. The on-broad staff did a good job of making the trip comfortable and entertaining. Here is our consist, covered in snow and ice. A GP9rm, two lightweight coaches and a Pointe St Charles Van, wouldn't it make a great pike sized train?

Because why not...

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
+1
My family and I went to Deep Creek Lake, MD, this past summer. We spent time at the old Oakland station where this guy resides: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I have had this one for some time.  It is a DC Streetcar.  They have been back for a while, now, I just kept forgetting to post this.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »
Interesting Broke! Running under wires, not like the old ones!

Mark

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
Interesting Broke! Running under wires, not like the old ones!

Mark

As you recall, the old ones had an opening in the middle through which a pole extended and touched a third rail buried beneath the street.  This gave the tracks the appearance of Lionel tracks.  This was because catenary was not allowed in the old City of Washington, or in Georgetown.  Once the cars got out of the old City of Washington or Georgetown, they did go to catenary.  On the Glen Echo line, which was the last one, the motorman used to get out once it crossed Prospect street, open a panel on the side of the car, crank up the pole that ran under the car, then, go to the back and let loose the trolley pole to contact the catenary.

Similar happened on the line that went out Rhode Island Avenue/US 1 to Greenbelt.  Once the car made it to Eckington, up went the underground contact pole and up went the trolley pole.

The current cars are running on H Street, NE/Benning Road.  Those streets are outside the old boundaries of the City of Washington, thus catenary is allowed.  In fact, the line ends at Oklahoma Avenue, just before Benning Road crosses the Anacostia River.  Had it gone across that river, its route would have paralleled the tracks of the old East Washington Railway, which served the PEPCo plant there (which is still there, although it has become a service yard and transfer station), and, was a remnant of the Chesapeake Beach Railway.

There are some tracks laid and catenary strung in Southeast through Anacostia, but no cars are running, yet.  It is supposed to run where the  old spur ran that served Anacostia Naval Air, Bolling Field, the Sewer Plant and the Naval Research Laboratory.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1144
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:50:52 PM »
While I was outside of the layout building taking pictures of my switchstand for a project today, I was surprised by this:

...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross