Author Topic: Loose Athearn BigBoy detail part - anyone know what it is?  (Read 799 times)

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Loose Athearn BigBoy detail part - anyone know what it is?
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
I was opening the clam shell case for my BigBoy recently, to put it back on the layout, and noticed this loose detail part in the case. It was sitting approximately at the cab or front of tender.

Does anyone know what it is or where it goes? I cannot figure out where it might have detached from

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3118
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Loose Athearn BigBoy detail part - anyone know what it is?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Driver axle spring either side up inside under the boiler maybe behind a driver?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Yeah, like John said, it is a leaf spring (part of the loco's suspension).  Probably over or under one of the driver axles.  When modeled in N scale, those are usually molded with the frame or with the bottom gear cover. This looks like a separate part.  Unusual.  Sometimes these are also present in between axles of a 2-axle leading truck but I don't think that Big Boy had one of those.
. . . 42 . . .

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:03:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Turns out it was the spring for the lead right driver on the second set of 4.  Yep, all 16 of these are separate parts, don't ask me why.  Press fit holes.  Since this fell out, I went ahead and put dabs of CA on the prongs.

Knew it was a spring of some sort, but kept looking towards "the surface" - never thought there would be those types of separate detailed parts BEHIND the drivers!
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N