Author Topic: New MTL underslung trucks  (Read 1828 times)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
New MTL underslung trucks
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
Type(s)?

Offset vs centered kingpins, or both?

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
Re: New MTL underslung trucks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »
I am hoping for recessed / offset bolster 100 ton roller bearing trucks.  I want this above all else so I can painlessly lower my MTL 100 ton hopper cars.  Please add this to your list @Shipsure.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
I am going to reveal my ignorance here, but would appreciate if someone would provide a one sentence definition of what "underslung" means when applied to trucks or couplers.  Is this modeling something in the prototype, or a modeling device to allow certain scale model cars to ride (or couple) at the correct height? 
Thanks in advance.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »
I am sure that others will jump in to correct me if I have something wrong, but my understanding is that:

1. underslung couplers are designed to fit on trucks or car bodies that are too low, so the coupler shanks have a step upward after they come out of the draftgear box, so that the knucle will be at the proper height above the rails.

2. underslung trucks are made to fit on car bodies that are too high on regular trucks, so the center of the truck where the car body rests (around the kingpin) is lowered (dished downward) to lower the car body in relationship to the rails.

Note that lowering the car body will lower the knuckle height of body-mounted couplers.  So, unless removeable shims were already used on the car bodies to get the couplers down to correct height, it might require underslung body-mounted couplers to compensate for substituting the underslung trucks when those are applied to a car that is currently set-up with body-mounted couplers at the correct height. 

Presumably, underslung trucks that come with truck-mounted couplers will be designed such that those couplers are at the correct height above the rails.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:43:10 AM by Maletrain »

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
+4
you got it...we should be able to offer both lowered and unlowered since the difference is just the center insert.

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
you got it...we should be able to offer both lowered and unlowered since the difference is just the center insert.

Excellent.  Thank you.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
Thanks Maletrain- very helpful.

And thanks @Shipsure - having options is always better.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +501
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »

Presumably, underslung trucks that come with truck-mounted couplers will be designed such that those couplers are at the correct height above the rails.

What would those be used for?

Jason

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »

On the lowered trucks: centered kingpin, offset kingpin, or both?

ai5629

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »
On the lowered trucks: centered kingpin, offset kingpin, or both?

I hope they offer lowered (recessed) bolster trucks with offset king pin holes.  These are not available from any N scale manufacturer that I am aware of.  I bought some Trainworx 100 ton offset bolster trucks about about two years ago.  I thought they were of this type, and I found out when I received them that they are not.  I bought these with the intent of lowering my MTL 100 ton hoppers.  They did not improve the ride height at all.  It remains a one car experiment sitting in a drawer.  My other 60 MTL hopper cars wait for a better solution, and this will hopefully be it.  Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:19:42 PM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +534
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »
+1
right now the hole will be offset.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »
Link?  :trollface:

Seriously, you guys might become the Kadee of N scale! (pun intended). :D

Mark

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
What about the underslung True Scale Couplers? When will they be out?
Modeling the C&O in Eastern Kentucky.
C&O HS

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »
+1
I love the idea of the low slung trucks, however I just lowered a Berwick 60' Hy cube boxcar, I didn't file down the bolsters at all, I just added Atlas/Blma trucks to the car and the wheels where contacting the metal underframe so I had to remove a lot of material with my Dremel. I don't know but some of the cars may need redesigned metal underframes.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
@Shipsure, I would love to see centered bolster trucks eventually as well. Your TOFC flats come to mind. The still lift tab is centered on the kingpin, but the truck kingpin hole of offset, which makes it look a little strange. That is why I was using BLMA underslung trucks with the centered holes.

The underslung trucks with offset holes will probably be a direct fit for older cars that were designed in the pizza cuter days. Use fine scale wheels and there is s lot of room for the underslung bolster to do its job without causing problems.

Do you plan on selling these just as trucks? Or with couplers?
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me