Author Topic: Atlas powered Kato SD40  (Read 984 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
Atlas powered Kato SD40
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
+7
I had a complete original run Kato SD40 chassis less motor kicking around and decided to see what I could do to get her powered.  I have plenty of Atlas motors and it turns out an Atlas motor from a GP38/40 in its original motor saddle is basically a drop in fit. It needs to have the hexagonal "holes" in the ends of the flywheels and to have the motor tabs bent back on themselves. The only other adjustments needed to be done are to slide the green Kato universal out towards the flywheels to take up some slack and to add some spacers. I very quickly used a couple of pieces of cardboard from a MTL coupler package. Slap it back together and away she goes. Most Atlas motors come in the same motor saddle so imagine there are a lot of options. The motor I had was an older original, non-scale speed unit, but it still runs quiet and smooth. May try a scale speed later.

This project won't win any awards, but if you are a cheap b@#tard like I am and have a shell to go on it like I do then it works.

Pic of motor mounted with contact tab bent back and green universal adjusted (as compared to the original position in chassis below).
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Pic with cardboard spacers.

Complete. Lots of room for the flywheels!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2516
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas powered Kato SD40
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
Very handy write-up.
 However, (since you keep using the direct-to-post photo attachment method, not the TRW gallery) may I suggest using "Inline full size image" instead of "Inline expandable thumbnail" method.  That way the photos will show up full-size, instead of needing to click on every thumbnail to see it full size?  The way you are doing it doesn't save any storage space, and only makes it more difficult to follow your write-up.  Even at full size, the forum automatically reduces them to 1024 pixels across, so they will display fine in just about any modern computing device.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
...original run Kato SD40 chassis less motor kicking around ...

Chassis' go underneath usually. What you have is a 'body'?
Just sayin'...down our way at least ,
dave

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
+1
I had a complete original run Kato SD40 chassis less motor kicking around and decided to see what I could do...

A slow speed motor will fit with no problem and you could even go a step further and put Kato SD40-2 trucks under it if needed   ;)

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
How much of the extra hood width on the Kato SD40 (vs Atlas GP40) is due to the Kato motor, the Kato frame, or a combination of both?

Given Kato's HO SD40 had the same hood width as the Atlas HO GP38 and GP40, building a SD38 or SD40 without dynamic brakes was as simple as making a cut behind the clean air room on the Kato SD40 and using the engine room and radiator sections from the Atlas long hood.   Given the Kato N SD40 is a bit wider than the Atlas N GP38 or GP40, the same kitbash isn't as simple in N.

Above the frame, one could theoretically build a SD38 or SD40 from Atlas shells by swapping the shorter GP clean air room with either a narrowed clean air room from the Kato SD40, or alternatively, a modified and lengthened Atlas clean air room/dust bin hatch.  After that, its a matter of fitting those parts to the Kato SD40 frame/walkway and having a mechanism that is narrow enough to fit under the new hood components.

And yes, this idea was "stolen" from HO :)

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
I keep reading that the KATO shells are wider than the ATLAS shells. don't know where this is coming from because the two SD38's I made the ATLAS and KATO hoods are the same width and height.I built these units roughly 10 years ago and the shells are still aligned with no cracks at the joints which are simply edge glued with no  reinforce  ments.

I have the parts to do a couple SD38-2 but right now they are waaaay down the project list. :D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
I keep reading that the KATO shells are wider than the ATLAS shells. don't know where this is coming from because the two SD38's I made the ATLAS and KATO hoods are the same width and height.I built these units roughly 10 years ago and the shells are still aligned with no cracks at the joints which are simply edge glued with no  reinforce  ments.

What Atlas parts did you use to put onto the Kato drive ? Not all Atlas shell parts do just fit onto the wider Kato drive by experience. The sill and cabs are the same width but Kato shells are definitely "fatter" than Atlas shells and Atlas shells normally don't just fit over Kato flywheels without rubbing.

Jane

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2516
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:10:44 AM »
What Atlas parts did you use to put onto the Kato drive ? Not all Atlas shell parts do just fit onto the wider Kato drive by experience. The sill and cabs are the same width but Kato shells are definitely "fatter" than Atlas shells and Atlas shells normally don't just fit over Kato flywheels without rubbing.

Jane

While not very clearly stated, I think he was telling us that he spliced Kato and Atlas shells (hoods) together. That would mean that the height and width of them was identical. At least that was how I understood that.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 05:55:30 AM »
While not very clearly stated, I think he was telling us that he spliced Kato and Atlas shells (hoods) together. That would mean that the height and width of them was identical. At least that was how I understood that.

Same here, that's why I asked which Atlas parts he was using. An Atlas GP38 or GP40 shell, or SD35 shell does not fit flush together with a Kato SD40 shell, they are definitely not the same width. For example, a SD35 nose (because of the nose light) does not fit flush on a SD40 shell nor to the chassis without modifications to the nose and the chassis.

Jane