Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/31/17  (Read 12510 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Weekend Update 12/31/17
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »
+1
How sweet. Get them hooked young! :D
Happy New Year, everyone!
Otto K.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:21:13 AM by Cajonpassfan »

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
+1
I could see the orange stripes wrapping around the ends and coming to a point much like the yellow on your models. Hmmmmm -- a future modification - ???

Actually using the same pattern that Espee used on Daylight-painted would be a more reasonable treatment of the end... I don't think that they would break from that...

What did the sublettering look like? I did my best to follow photos on rrpicturearchives. I'm already out of the door marking decals, and the Microscale Southern car sets don't have much in the way of extra data.

Here is one of the cars that had "C OF GA" sublettering...

http://rr-fallenflags.org/sout/sou585336akg.jpg

This image, of a different kind of car, shows the sublettering a bit better...

http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/freight/box/582160.jpg

Looking at Microscale's offerings for Southern Railway it appears beyond a few locomotive decals that sublettering simply is not offered as part of the decal so there may not be a way, aside from either custom printing or using dry transfer lettering like Clorver House's Block Gothic lettering set, of getting sublettering for cars.  Its one of those ideas that simply would not be easy to do...

Oh, by the way... love your CR 4020 model!!!  Have loved the units in green since I first saw one repainted... so sad that they are no longer in this dress... would still be looking nice...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:37:34 PM by jmlaboda »

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
Actually using the same pattern that Espee used on Daylight-painted would be a more reasonable treatment of the end... I don't think that they would break from that...

This is exactly what I have in mind.

Thanks,

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720

Lucas in Alaska

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2018, 12:23:15 AM »

-jamie

I'm on this forum a couple times a week and love everything I see. This video amazed me. The slow speed just blew my mind. Awesome job.

alhoop

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 01:06:00 AM »
Decided on a fictitious town name (Genmar) and made signs for each end of the station, finished some more painting and miscellaneous details, did some more scenery cleanup from the surgery to place it, and just now completed the fence.  It's coming along good.  And if anyone cares I've been trying to be more conscientious about adding updates to the build thread as well as seeking advice now that I'm actually doing some things to the layout.

And here are some pics. :

(Attachment Link)

Add a big apple on your pedestal and you have Cornelia,GA

AL

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:41 AM »
I’ve been busy this holiday weekend.
First off I’ve been wanting to test out the True Scale Coupler for a while so I converted a few cars to them. So far so good, but the real test will be at the train show coming up on the 12th and 13th.

My other projects have been to DCC some loco’s. I put the new sound file for UP 844 into my Kato unit and it sounds amazing. I had a bit of an accident though when the engine fell off my desk crashing to the ground. There was one broken part (left side piping over the drivers) but it went back together fairly well with a tiny bit of glue.

The biggest part of DCC loco’s has been my fleet (although incomplete) of UP heritage units. I’ve milled (cut with a dremmel reinforced cut off wheel) the frames in a similar fashion as Rick @RBrodzinsky  did with his SD70ace. I’m still waiting for LEDS and capacitors from China so hopefully these will all be done soon. After 5 loco's I see why people invest in milling machines

"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2018, 04:05:07 AM »
Add a big apple on your pedestal and you have Cornelia,GA

AL

I can see it. 8)  :D
Mark G.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2018, 08:15:10 AM »
+3
Fabulous work from everyone.  Really like the videos.  Really like the switchers.  So here's a reprise of an old video I did of switchers.

And for the record, Scut Farkus may have been FILMED in Cleveland, but he grew up in Homan, Indiana, along with Ralphie Parker, Wanda Hickey, Daphne Bigelow, Flick, Schwarz, and Ludlow Kissel, among others.

Jean Shepherd created quite an interesting cast of characters.  "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" is recommended reading.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

nh5regt

• Respect: 0
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
Great job on the GP18. I look forward to seeing it painted up in the B&M colors.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
+1

Wow Jerry, what a beautiful shot! This was in the days when the SP actually washed their locomotives :o

There's also some paint on the ground...looks like the pilot got a paint touch up before the wash.
(I knew Santa Fe sprayed their passenger power pilots silver in Barstow, before sending them on to LA, but it appears SP did something similar while they still had pride in their railroad).

Thank you for posting this!
OttoK.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »
Wow Jerry, what a beautiful shot! This was in the days when the SP actually washed their locomotives :o

There's also some paint on the ground...looks like the pilot got a paint touch up before the wash.
(I knew Santa Fe sprayed their passenger power pilots silver in Barstow, before sending them on to LA, but it appears SP did something similar while they still had pride in their railroad).

Thank you for posting this!
OttoK.

Hi Otto,

Yeah - Jerry found a wonderful photo.
I think what you are seeing is the units reflection in the water. Not runny paint.

Wolf

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Hi Otto,

Yeah - Jerry found a wonderful photo.
I think what you are seeing is the units reflection in the water. Not runny paint.

Wolf
On a hot, sunny, summer day, that looks like the best job on the railroad. But I would not have wanted it in Michigan in January (where I am now).
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
SP and their darn water based paint... :facepalm:
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
Fabulous work from everyone.  Really like the videos.  Really like the switchers.  So here's a reprise of an old video I did of switchers.

Lee

Great video, Lee. (I love switchers & short trains.) Thanks for the smiles.