Author Topic: Bearden (U18B) made me do it.  (Read 2712 times)

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +264
Bearden (U18B) made me do it.
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
+4
Ron's post (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=43307.0) showing his flock of "children" that he created over the years has sure been a treat. I remember seeing many of the models as he made them over the years. I have conversed with Ron via email over the years (although I doubt he'll remember) and even helped him out with parts.

Without question he inspired me to take a shot at cutting up perfectly good loco shells. His U18B was really the stimulus and I gave it a shot. I started with a Kato U30C shell and made it as far as the pic below. It probably wasn't a good starting point for a first timer as the project is quite involved. I got more brave and started to cut up factory painted shells modifying them and painting the new parts and pieces to match. The pics below are a tribute of sorts to Ron's influence. Would love to see other's work.

MEC U18B
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

MEC GP7 Non-dynamic brakes. Using a factory painted shell, I removed the blister and replaced it with an LL GP18 non-dynamic piece.

D&H U33C bashed from a factory painted Kato D&H U30C and the "wings" from a C30-7. I kept the factory paint as I really wanted it to match the out of the Kato box U30C. I added the yellow stripes, removed the original lettering and matched the blue paint.

Keep up the good work Ron!

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Bearden (U18B) made me do it.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »
+6
Wow, beautiful models!! :o

There have been a few different people who have influenced my kitbashing urges over the years all the way back to my HO days, but Ron definitely influenced this N scale operating MOW truck after seeing his in various publications...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:15:45 AM by tehachapifan »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »
Wow.

I love these models.

It is very rewarding to know that someone tried out something I wrote in an article.

Thanks guys.
I love your work.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:28:32 AM »
@tehachapifan That is one incredibly awesome hi-railer on several levels! I especially love the way you disguised the wheels as tires.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »
@tehachapifan That is one incredibly awesome hi-railer on several levels! I especially love the way you disguised the wheels as tires.

Yeah, that is awesome!  But the next question would be: is there a decoder in that thing?   :trollface: :D
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
Yeah, that is awesome!  But the next question would be: is there a decoder in that thing?   :trollface: :D

My next one will have a decoder.

I started to build one... and something happened... I don't remember.  Never finished.  But I wired the headlights like ditch lights.  I looked pretty cool.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

Thanks, Guys! :D I've thought about how I could possibly get a decoder in it but there is absolutely zero room inside the truck anywhere. I believe the only way it could be done would be by adding a trailer of some type and put the decoder in there, but I'm not sure if there are or were too many Hi-Rail trailers in the real world. If I went this route, the trailer would also hopefully help with power pickup as the short wheelbase on the truck doesn't work well with my insulated turnout frogs, etc.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
Russ

Love the MOW truck except the logo is the wrong color and shape and you only spelled pacific correctly.  Why UP?

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
Russ

Love the MOW truck except the logo is the wrong color and shape and you only spelled pacific correctly.  Why UP?

Lol! :D Yeah....I was wondering that myself recently (I built this a number of years ago) and I THINK it was because, at the time, I couldn't find or just didn't have any suitable SP decals. :facepalm: ;)

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
Lol! :D Yeah....I was wondering that myself recently (I built this a number of years ago) and I THINK it was because, at the time, I couldn't find or just didn't have any suitable SP decals. :facepalm: ;)

If you get the urge to patch http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=60-657&Category_Code=SP

nh5regt

• Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:58:33 AM »
Fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, as I model the same lines and era.

nuno81291

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
Love the models and especially the local flavor, everything looks better in those paint schemes  :drool:
Guilford Rail System in the 80s/90s

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
you could remove the metal tool compartment and make it plastic and put decoder in it. just a thought.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
you could remove the metal tool compartment and make it plastic and put decoder in it. just a thought.

Good idea but I think it would probably still be too tight. I haven't had it apart in a little while but, as I recall, the motor takes up almost all the room inside the truck. That said, prior to switching to DCC, I pondered adding some sort of Hi-Rail trailer to improve pickup. I suppose I could put a decoder in the trailer and have it serve two purposes. Now I just need to find a prototype Hi-Rail trailer to base it on. ;)