Author Topic: Light Output Staying On With Only Track Power?  (Read 803 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Light Output Staying On With Only Track Power?
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:35:10 AM »
I swear this LL SW1200 I'm attempting to install lighting in is possessed! :tommann: First I had everything working fine with front and rear headlights, front gyralight and even lighted numberboards using the Digitrax decoder for the SW1500, when I suddenly started hearing short protection kick in. After pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was shorting over quite some time, I finally traced it to the frame halves apparently deciding to suddenly start touching in the fuel tank area. I slid a thin piece of styrene in between the frame halves in the fuel tank area, reassembled everything and all was good again, until....

I heard a extremely brief short protection sound again and the gyralight then suddenly turned to a constant, steady light and won't go off unless the loco is removed from the track. I've traced, re-traced and triple-chased the wiring multiple times, looking for where the LED might be picking up power from elsewhere, and it simply isn't. I've tried a decoder reset which didn't help either. Guessing it was some sort of limited decoder failure? Anyone ever see a decoder failure where a function output stays on permanently like this?

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
Re: Light Output Staying On With Only Track Power?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
Sounds like you may have shorted the output on , with that function.  Most times a short will short the transistor to an open state, but some times it will cause the transistor will be shorted to the on state!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
Woodone is unfortunately most likely correct.  DCC is wonderful technology, but decoders are micro-miniature computer devices which are rather delicate and easily blown up by accidental shorts.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Yeah, I guess I was hoping maybe this wasn't the case with a light staying on like that, but I've since replaced the board. All goo now (knocks on wood ;)).