Author Topic: Anyone here friendly with the IRM?  (Read 996 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Anyone here friendly with the IRM?
« on: September 26, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
I need some pictures of the Great Northern 19,000 gallon tank car brake wheel, stand and how it mounts to the frame.  I have the GA drawing for the car, but my drawing has the horizontal brake wheel and the kit I'm trying to put together has a vertical wheel because that matches almost every railroad scheme that had these cars.

I haven't contacted the museum yet.  I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone here could help out.

Thanks,

Jason

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Anyone here friendly with the IRM?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:00:32 PM »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the link Tom but no.  I want to see how the brake wheel stand attaches to the frame.  From what I can tell there's a beam that goes from the bolster to the end sill and the brake wheel stand sits between that and the center sill.

Jason

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the link Tom but no.  I want to see how the brake wheel stand attaches to the frame.  From what I can tell there's a beam that goes from the bolster to the end sill and the brake wheel stand sits between that and the center sill.

Dang, wish you'd posted this about a week earlier.   My son lives about 20 miles from IRM and I'm up there fairly frequently.  Haven't gone over to the museum in a couple of years but I was up there on the 21st-23rd and we were very close to heading over but I narrowly decided not to at the last second....had I had a reason to go I definitely would have gone over there.

I won't be back for a few weeks and I'm not sure I'll have time to go to IRM this trip. (if it's even open then....gets spotty once the weather starts to turn)    Not sure what your timeframe is but I'll check with you then to see if you got anywhere.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
Dang, wish you'd posted this about a week earlier.   My son lives about 20 miles from IRM and I'm up there fairly frequently.  Haven't gone over to the museum in a couple of years but I was up there on the 21st-23rd and we were very close to heading over but I narrowly decided not to at the last second....had I had a reason to go I definitely would have gone over there.

I won't be back for a few weeks and I'm not sure I'll have time to go to IRM this trip. (if it's even open then....gets spotty once the weather starts to turn)    Not sure what your timeframe is but I'll check with you then to see if you got anywhere.

My time frame is actually based on getting this info, but I'm not in any great rush as I surely have plenty of irons in the fire.  I went back and forth in my head about how to proceed, but knowing there's a car sitting right there that has the answer I need, I'm sitting on this one for right now.  If there's any chance of getting over there, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jason