Author Topic: Another photo posting test - my ATSF DL-109 set  (Read 4257 times)

Loren Perry

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
Another photo posting test - my ATSF DL-109 set
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
+5
Here are some photos of an A & B set of DL-109's I custom built from three Con-Cor models back in 2011. I sent a detailed two-part how-to article to N-Scale magazine about that time but I'm not sure they're going to run it.

I built the B-unit from two undecorated A-unit shells with a lot of custom work and surgery. The decals were by Micro-Scale but from several different sheets because no single sheet had the correct wrap-around nose herald and I had to cut and piece various elements together to get the right configuration.

I also added glazing to the body sides and made up a simple depth gauge/jig to allow me to secure the glass in a flush-mounted way while staying uniform from one window to the next.

They run fairly well - equal to the old Con-Cor Alco PA which was the best of its time, before flywheels made their appearance. Both units are powered and they have plenty of Moxie to pull any size passenger trains.

Santa Fe tried these units out on the Super Chief one time. By the time they reached Los Angeles, the traction motors were virtually toast due to the mountainous terrain they had to run through, so they spent their remaining days running in the flatlands of the midwest where they gave excellent service for many years. I think Santa Fe had the one and only B-unit Alco built for the DL series.

This is a portrait of the engines at rest in the L.A. passenger yards. Note the horn on the B-unit's forward roof which was for the benefit of hostlers.

Here are the big engines leaving town, passing the oil refinery.

Another shot showing the locomotives at L.A. Union Passenger Terminal.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:29:44 PM by Loren Perry »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Another photo posting test - my ATSF DL-109 set
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
I can see them.  Very nice

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »
Loren, you have a gorgeous and very realistic-looking layout.   I have also seen other parts of your layout in your N-Scale Magazine articles.  Just beautiful!
The palm trees look just like live trees, and the LA Union Passenger Treminal is an easily recognizable landmark.  In 2005 I had the pleasure of taking Amtrak to LA and arriving at that station.  Was the model scratchbuilt?

I would also love to see some photos of the Bates Motel and the mansion.  That is such a cool scene!

Oh, I almost forgot (while drooling over the scenery): the DL-109s are also gorgeous!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:50:39 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

RWCJr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
Beautiful work on the DL-109 set!  :)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
+1
For me, the first photo showed up, the other two didn't.

Doug

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
Interesting... all three photos were visible when I viewed them at our studio an hour ago. Now, back home, only the first is visible. Both computers are Mac OSX/Firefox.

Frankly, IMO this gets back to issues with Google. IIRC, we had this problem about a year ago, and it was (eventually) discovered that the image URLs changed after an undetermined length of time. I cannot help but think we're dealing with dynamic URL issues again.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
Interesting... all three photos were visible when I viewed them at our studio an hour ago. Now, back home, only the first is visible. Both computers are Mac OSX/Firefox.

Frankly, IMO this gets back to issues with Google. IIRC, we had this problem about a year ago, and it was (eventually) discovered that the image URLs changed after an undetermined length of time. I cannot help but think we're dealing with dynamic URL issues again.

Same here.  I saw all three earlier this evening, but not now.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
I still see them.  I wonder if it has something to do with the viewer needing to be logged in to google at the time of viewing, or something like that.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
I still see them.  I wonder if it has something to do with the viewer needing to be logged in to google at the time of viewing, or something like that.
Probably, since, for me, clicking on the first photo brings up the enlarged version, while clicking on the second and third shows a request for a google login.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
BTW Loren, another great model! 
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
For me, the first photo showed up, the other two didn't.

Ditto.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »
Here are some photos of an A & B set of DL-109's I custom built from three Con-Cor models back in 2011. I sent a detailed two-part how-to article to N-Scale magazine about that time but I'm not sure they're going to run it.

I have the same situation.  N-Scale has had several articles by me for about 5 years.

I guess they may be overflowing with articles and thus not in need right now.
Who knows.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »
As someone who has posted a LOT of google content n my threads.....

Here is what I discovered.

1.  The folder should be marked are SHARED.

2.  As for url.... I click on a photo in an album.  I find that THAT url does not work.   I then right click on the photo and choose VIEW FILE... whcih makes everything but the photo go away.

3.  Now, THAT url is the one that works.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »

I think that is it.  When I was repeatedly viewing (and replying to) this post I was logged into my Gmail account (um, Goggle).  I was seeing all the photos.  I then logged out of Gmail, but I was still seeing all the photos. Then I did <SHIFT> Reload in my browser to flush the cached info and fully reload the page containing this thread. Now I'm in the same boat as you - I only see the 1st image and nothing shows up for others (not even the dreaded gray do-not-enter signs).

It is really too bad that Loren couldn't get the local downloads to work - external photo hosting seems to be inconsistent.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
I saw all three first time I looked in here. Now just see the first one.