Author Topic: What is this steam locomotive thing? (small port on smokebox side)  (Read 2414 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
What is this steam locomotive thing? (small port on smokebox side)
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:09 AM »
Since I've had more than one of these, I figured I better start naming the thread topics with something that might make it possible to find later!

So, once again it's time to play, "What the heck is that thing on a steam locomotive?"

I'm referring to the round disk shaped object in the center of the photo below.  It looks like it is a small port or door with a handle to twist or pull it open.  Since the cover appears to be attached with a chain, I am betting that it rotated and pulled off.

Is it some sort of clean-out port?   Here's a really wild guess: Could they possibly have used it to hook a vacuum pipe up in order to get draft going in the smokebox when they were starting the engine up?

Thank you, as always, for your brilliant insights, everyone.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: What is this steam locomotive thing? (small port on smokebox side)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
Smokebox cleanout port / plug / cover, depending on who you talk to.

I'm still not sure 'why' and 'how', and if it is fuel-specific for coal (cinders).

It's certainly not a standard feature, and as much steam as I've been around, I'm not sure I've ever seen one ever open or used.  Same thing can be accomplished by opening the smokebox door, just more difficult.

I'm trying to see if I can find any pictures of oil-fired steam with them on, no luck so far.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:00:42 AM by randgust »

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
Smokebox cleanout port / plug / cover, depending on who you talk to.

I'm still not sure 'why' and 'how', and if it is fuel-specific for coal (cinders).

It's certainly not a standard feature, and as much steam as I've been around, I'm not sure I've ever seen one ever open or used.  Same thing can be accomplished by opening the smokebox door, just more difficult.

I'm trying to see if I can find any pictures of oil-fired steam with them on, no luck so far.

Well, that photo I posted is of an SP&S 0-6-0, which was built new as an oil-fired engine and delivered to the SP&S that way (unlike a lot of other SP&S engines that were built for coal firing for the NP and then handed down to the SP&S where they were converted to oil).  My guess would be that since these were built by Alco from the NP L-9 plans, all the boilers had those clean-out ports on them regardless of how they were going to be fired.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
@mmagliaro - I'd ask my Uncle again, whom I'm sure would have a detailed explanation but he is on his way to Duluth for the NPRHA convention, which begins tomorrow.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5522
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
I think they spray hot steam in there to clean it out. Some even have a valve at the bottom called a sparking valve. It would have a 90 degree turn on it and they would hold up a sparking tube to direct the blow.

I asked the Wiscasset Waterville and Farmington railway how do they clean their. Said just open smokebox and use a vacuum  :lol:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5432
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
+1
Flux capacitor
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »
Thanks, folks. So, a smokebox clean-out it is!
It is actually marked on the erecting drawing, but it isn't labeled. 

Now I just have to make a little rised-bubble looking door with a tiny chain on it (and it's only 10" in diameter,
so we're talking about 1/16"... should be a load of laughs to make! )

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1777
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
That's not where the M&Ms come out?
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
I don't think I've seen the chain modeled in any scale  :scared:

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »

I think Chris has thrown down the gauntlet.  I accept the challenge!  En Garde!

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

Thread.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:48:35 AM »
That's not where the M&Ms come out?

Pez.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 02:35:27 AM »

Thread.

I seem to recall that way back there was a thread about some sort of TRW contest and @David K. Smith build a small platform on a freight truck. IIRC, on that model, he used a very fine chain from some sort of decorative thread. It looked pretty realistic.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 02:58:35 AM »
I seem to recall that way back there was a thread about some sort of TRW contest and @David K. Smith build a small platform on a freight truck. IIRC, on that model, he used a very fine chain from some sort of decorative thread. It looked pretty realistic.

flexible beading needles
https://www.google.com/search?q=flexible+beading+needles&num=30&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSx4PajKTWAhXIPiYKHSjbCioQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1280&bih=633

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »
Chris,
The flexible beading needles are just a couple of fine wires twisted together from what I can see.  Am I missing something?

I have seen a few online articles about simulating extremely fine chain by twisting two wires together and then gently flattening the twisted wire, and it supposely comes out looking like chain (especially at this ridiculously small size we are talking about).
I could do it with magnet wire to get it really small, which is what I'm going to try first.  Some #38 is about .003" wire.

This is a chain that holds a little door on a port that is only 10" across (about 1/16" in N Scale).  So the chain probably has 1" long links at most.    That means my wire links would have to be only .006" long!   That means that actual chain is out of the question.

I think this is down at a size where whatever I do can just give a "hint" of a chain.  Some twisted wire will be more than good enough.   I'll hate myself for saying this, but there are some things that are just too small to actually model in N Scale.