Author Topic: Time for a new iron  (Read 1153 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
Time for a new iron
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:47:27 AM »
Soldering Iron that is. After my good Archer 40W was killed by an unremoveable broken tip, I went back to my cheap Weller 25W woodburner/hobby-iron, but now that is dead too.

I'm looking for recommendations for a good long-lasting home unit, like a nice 60W base-station unit that has the boxed power supply with the temp readout. And possibly a good self-contained unit that can fit in a drawer in my tool chest for travel to shows and such.

Looking to stay under $100. Gotta keep my budget in check between retirement savings, gas, and my slew of WWII and train projects.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
Re: Time for a new iron
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
I would personally buy a Weller (analog), as their warranty is far better @1-year (whereas Hakko's is only 90-days). Weller also has a digital unit (same great warranty), but it's about $40 more.

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I would personally buy a Weller (analog), as their warranty is far better @1-year (whereas Hakko's is only 90-days). Weller also has a digital unit (same great warranty), but it's about $40 more.

This. If you want an iron, or in this case a soldering station, and you want one that is dependable for a long time and at a reasonable price, get a Weller. The analog version Marc linked to may not have a digital temperature display, but tell you what, this model has been the go-to for serious amateurs and professional techs for many, many years.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
Cody,

I've had a version of this for 15 years with no issues.  New wands and tips are readily available.  Get a Small chisel point tip too while you're at it.

for $40, you can get lots of solder and tips for the savewd $60.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTP25PS?psc=1