Author Topic: Trix (Minitrix) BR18.5 model # 12312  (Read 1136 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
Trix (Minitrix) BR18.5 model # 12312
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:53 AM »
I've always wanted a BR18.5 to pull a Rheingold train.  The Trix (Minitrix) model  is just what I want. I think they're out of production, but before I hunt one down I'm wondering if there's any chance at all it would run on Atlas code 55 track.

Reynauds sold them at one time , and here's a picture:

The flanges on the drivers might be OK, but the rest look pretty deep - does anyone know how deep they really are?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4531
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Trix (Minitrix) BR18.5 model # 12312
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:20 AM »
That is a really nice loco - it has a coreless motor.  But it is a puzzle to take apart.  :)  I have couple of these (not in the Rheingold livery, but they are all the same model).  I would have to dig one out of the stash to measure it, but I'm going away in few days. If nobody else supplies this info I'll do it, in early August.

Arnold also makes a model of this loco - they even made it for their version of Rheingold train.  That is also a good running model (motor in the tender with a driveshaft to the loco), but it has flanges similar to Minitrix.

The drivers do have low flanges (especially the middle driver). They did that to get the wheelbase as close to the 1:1 loco as possible.

These do show up on eBay fairly regularly.
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
I played around with one in Switzerland (there is a lovely hobby shop in the center of Interlaken for those of you who want to visit the Jungfrau). The flanges are about the same as older LL models - just deep enough to drive you mad on C55.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
On the positive note, even if the flanges of non-drivers are too deep, the wheelsets with deep fpanges can easily be snapped out of the loco and the flanges filed down, even with an ordinary file.   So George, if you feel up to doing some filing you should be all set.  Another problem is that the wheels might be tight in gauge. If too tight, they will have problems traveling over Atlas C55 turnouts.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
I've filed down flanges before - that doesn't scare me unless it involves steam loco drivers ('cause of quartering).   Re-gauging  the drivers scares me a LOT.  Hmm....
George
NKPH&TS #3628

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »
I've filed down flanges before - that doesn't scare me unless it involves steam loco drivers ('cause of quartering).   Re-gauging  the drivers scares me a LOT.  Hmm....

Like I said, in early August I'll find  mine and let you know the gauge and flange depth.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »
I decided against it - not because of the flanges, but because my NKP-ish railroad really needs track, not a German steam engine (no matter how beautiful).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:03:16 AM »
I filed the flanges on my Minitrix F units years ago, and reguaging the wheels wasn't hard.  The problem was that they were geared axles, and I had no way of getting the uninsulated wheels off.  So, I just pushed the insulated wheels against the gear, stuck the exposed axle in my Dremel, and filed both flanges by eye and NMRA gauge.  Reguaging was simply a matter of pulling the wheel back out, with a lot of gauge-checking.

This should be even easier on a steam loco, as long as you don't have to requarter the drivers.
N Kalanaga
Be well