Author Topic: BLI announces 4 more highly saught after N scale models..  (Read 11533 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: BLI announces 4 more highly saught after N scale models..
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
My Wallet is safe, Western Maryland not listed for either of the F units  :)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
There is no a perfect model out there, and I don't think there ever be one like that (especially to the Railwire members - we are very picky).

I completely agree, My idea of perfect would be crisp tooling (something Kato excels at) and Dimensional Accuracy (an area where Kato often falls short)

I could honestly care less about added detail and sound, give me the proper F unit shape with the contours and molded on details correct and I can add the rest. (basically an N scale version of the Highliners models) Now I say that knowing I'm in a very small minority (even for the Railwire)  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
+2
Ryan
I've been working with Broadway Limited on the N Scale F Unit Project and you hit the nail on the head when you describe the ideal result to be "Highliner"-like.
The various "phases" and options make such a project very complicated.   One customer just wrote BLI that the Santa Fe didn't order any Phase ll units....which is technically true.   But the ATSF was the testing laboratory for F units that caused their units to morph thru the external spotting features from Phase l F3 to F9.
Some significant road specific details will also be tooled such as front and rear lifting lugs, rooftop cooling coils, radio antennas, pilot variations, and a couple of cut- back tank skirts.
While I agree that the Kato units have held up pretty well considering their age and the InterMountain units aren't bad, I think there is room in the market for state-of-the-art units....especially if they are made a little more frequently.
I think to retain some sanity at the factory they'll likely be released in groups of similar phases to keep the tooling changes to a minimum....thus the first production of Phase ll F3 and Phase l F7 units.  Anything from F2 through F9 and mixes in between should be possible and I'm sure BLI will listen to suggestions for roadname, paint job and even engine numbers for future production groups.
Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »
There is one area that manufacturers in all scales fail to get correctly and that is the shape of the nose on an F and an E. The one exception should be Paul Lubliner's Highliner models. I say should be because I don't model in HO so only have second hand info.

Set every manufacturer's F7A in a row (and there are a lot of them) and you will see each one does it differently. Then compare the models to a prototype picture and all are wrong in one way or another.

Charlie is helping BLI so that should be a good thing but we will see when they come out. BLI is not known for making models frequently but they do a good job on their models. If the first batch sells out quickly, then we might only have to wait 2-3 years for the next run. :)
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
What's wrong with the Kato units?

the Kato F units have, IMO, the best overall shape of all of the manufacturer's F units...and, of course, nothing runs as well as they do...
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
I'm just happy that we finally will get a EMD SD70ACe in N scale.

And the F3s and F7s from BLI will have cast noses instead of welded ones.

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
To be a nitpicker, which this group does at times, Kato does a good job on the nose. But (you knew there had to be one, right?) compare the contour of the Kato engine to the contour of the prototype around the headlight. The real one is smoother, more faired in, whereas the Kato engine has a sharp demarcation around the headlight and the body.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »

I have Kato and IM F units.

The main thing I dislike on the Kato units are the molding lines on the nose. Not a problem if working with undec as this is easily fixed. But decorated models are another story - I just live with it.

That and they release them in so few roads.

Mark

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »

Well, they don't come looking like that, of course.  Nice work you've done there.   ;)

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »
Nice work you've done there.   ;)

+1

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
So... thinking about this... has anyone talked to anyone at Broadway about it?

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
+1
To be a nitpicker, which this group does at times, Kato does a good job on the nose. But (you knew there had to be one, right?) compare the contour of the Kato engine to the contour of the prototype around the headlight. The real one is smoother, more faired in, whereas the Kato engine has a sharp demarcation around the headlight and the body.

I'm not seeing what you mean by this 'smoother' fairing into the carbody...it appears that Kato captures the general outline and the nuances perfectly...

of course, the IM units are really well detailed right out of the box...but they fail to capture the subtle shape of the 'bulldog nose' as accurately as the Kato units do...(although not NEARLY as far off the mark as the hideous LifeLike E8 unit!!!)
It's for this reason (the general shape) and the far superior performance , that I choose Kato units and take the time to detail them to the level that I like...
I use decals to represent the carbody openings, then overlay them with Plano grills...

Bruce M. Arbo

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Always have liked the Kato Fs... they just looked better than about anything around.  Heck, as far as the headlight goes I would even use it to create a tail light on a heavyweight business car, if I could figure out just how to cut the end of the roof on one...

All we can do is wait to see what the new BLI models are really like but I suspect that one indication of just how well detailed they will be is how they have done their EMD E-units... look at the level of detail there and I would bet that they are more highly detailed than anything before them, and that with prototype correct details on top of very well detailed bodies.  No use for any (my roads are mostly steam and heavy electric with just an early dabbling in diesels) but would seriously look at the new ones being offered if I decide to get some.

arbomambo

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
Always have liked the Kato Fs... they just looked better than about anything around.  Heck, as far as the headlight goes I would even use it to create a tail light on a heavyweight business car, if I could figure out just how to cut the end of the roof on one...

All we can do is wait to see what the new BLI models are really like but I suspect that one indication of just how well detailed they will be is how they have done their EMD E-units... look at the level of detail there and I would bet that they are more highly detailed than anything before them, and that with prototype correct details on top of very well detailed bodies.  No use for any (my roads are mostly steam and heavy electric with just an early dabbling in diesels) but would seriously look at the new ones being offered if I decide to get some.

I would definitely agree that the BLI F units will be very well detailed...they'll 'probably' look very nice!...but, unless they decide to mimic Kato's mechanism design, they just won't run nearly as well...
~Bruce

Bruce M. Arbo

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »
Being an F unit lover, since the BLI F's are being designed now and hopefully aren't tooled yet, I wanted to make a list of things they should definitely get right to become the leading standard F for N-scale.

1) Correct nose shape
2) Correct ride height
3) Sharp molded details
4) Fuel tank at correct height over rails
5) No blobs for lift rings
6) Flush windows
7) Correctly sized truck side frames
8 ) Runs like a Kato
9) Separately applied details.  Maybe some above window grabs.
10) Scale coupling distance between units

Feel free to add to the list but these are short-comings with currently available F units. No current F has all these features.

And for all that's good and holy, paint up some Reading units with the correct color green and yellow striping!
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!