Author Topic: BLI announces 4 more highly saught after N scale models..  (Read 11547 times)

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
Re: BLI announces 4 more highly saught after N scale models..
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
How does BLI's NS ES44 stack up to the recently-announced ScaleTrains NS ES44? My gut tells me that the ScaleTrains version will be more accurate, based on their UP Turbine release. I'll probably hold-out for their release over BLI's.

I do prefer the IM F's over the Katos, simply based on the wire and photo-etched details. However, Swiss watch makers say their watches run like Kato locomotives. It just depends on where you want to compromise. It's easy enough to add sound, so I'll probably just stick with the F's I have and add sound, rather than replace them with new sound-equipped models.

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 12:19:42 AM »
+1
Both the Kato and IM F units have their flaws, in my opinion.  There's a chance the BLI units will be better.  Of course, traction tires aren't a selling point for me.

Between Kato and FVM, I don't think there's a need for either ES44s or SD70ACes.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 12:52:59 AM »
How does BLI's NS ES44 stack up to the recently-announced ScaleTrains NS ES44? My gut tells me that the ScaleTrains version will be more accurate, based on their UP Turbine release. I'll probably hold-out for their release over BLI's.

I do prefer the IM F's over the Katos, simply based on the wire and photo-etched details. However, Swiss watch makers say their watches run like Kato locomotives. It just depends on where you want to compromise. It's easy enough to add sound, so I'll probably just stick with the F's I have and add sound, rather than replace them with new sound-equipped models.

The Scale Trains unit is a Tier iV GEVO, so it is totally different from previous offerings from FVM and Kato.  The radiators are the most noticeable spotting feature.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 12:54:02 AM »
There is no a perfect model out there, and I don't think there ever be one like that (especially to the Railwire members - we are very picky).
Someone will always find some accuracy or mechanical flaw. We are also started to expect perfect accuracy (and road name-specific details). It seems like Scale Trains is attempting that, but to me those still won't be like Katos (in mechanical design and in the overall crispiness of the details).  But not everybody recognizes that or cares about that.

To me a perfect model would be one which is accurate, has lots of details, and is designed and manufactured by Kato. Yes, I know that this is an unreasonable desire.
. . . 42 . . .

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 12:56:43 AM »
+5
Regardless of what you think of the detailing on a Kato engine, I think we can all agree that Katos run flawlessly and dependably, mile after mile. That is real miles, not scale miles as proved on my club layout.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 01:03:57 AM »
+2
There is no a perfect model out there, and I don't think there ever be one like that (especially to the Railwire members - we are very picky).
Someone will always find some accuracy or mechanical flaw. We are also started to expect perfect accuracy (and road name-specific details). It seems like Scale Trains is attempting that, but to me those still won't be like Katos (in mechanical design and in the overall crispiness of the details).  But not everybody recognizes that or cares about that.

To me a perfect model would be one which is accurate, has lots of details, and is designed and manufactured by Kato. Yes, I know that this is an unreasonable desire.

I agree, Kato is my personal gold standard.  The recent FVM locos are getting close but there is a visceral sense of care in the engineering and finish with Kato products that no one touches.  I was pleasantly surprised to get the exact same feeling visiting the Kato Hobby Center a few days ago:  a hobby store done to Kato standards.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
+1
"Every manufacturer has done F-units in B&O Blue and Grey."

Don't forget the Aurora (Postage Stamp)/Minitrix Fs in the late 60s! 
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
The one thing that Kato seems to beat everyone on is spare parts.  Although most of the major assemblies for early model F untis are gone at this point, there are STILL some parts on their website for models they made 20 to 30 years ago.  And the reason they run out of spares is not because of replacements, but because we buy the spares for kitbashes and to rebuild other manufacturers' products to Kato standards.  But having every available spare part listed on the Katousa website is a great feature of their company.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
The Kato and IMRC units both have their pros and cons, for mine I will go with Kato undecs and a bunch of work. the Tooling on the Intermountain models is just too soft and no amount of PE metal will hide that... (I do have a couple IMRC FP7's tho, will replace them if Kato makes a no DB shell with freight pilots...)

I've noticed that the IM pilots seem off when you look at them from the side compared to Kato.  I've done some research and some F units did have pilots like IM's, but they were not as common compared to Kato.  I like the flush mounted windows on the IM compared to the more inset Kato windshields, but that might could be fixed with windshields made from Krystal Klear or other window fluid.

I did see that IM is coming out with Phase 3 and what looks like Phase 4 F3s, which I think is a first for N Scale.

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
SOMEBODY make a damn F9 already...

...done:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

...in the early 1970's, by Roco for Atlas. In 0 scale...sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Mark in Oregon

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
"I did see that IM is coming out with Phase 3 and what looks like Phase 4 F3s, which I think is a first for N Scale."

Pretty sure that the CEI units by IM I bought several (5? 7?) years ago are Phase 3 units (prototypes purchased in 1948)- but in any case, chicken wire, but low fans.  They now have more CEI on their preorder page, but they have been there for years with TBD in the delivery date column.

Although I don't own any, I thought they had also done F9s at about the same time.

While on the subject, does anyone know a source for IM F and FP shells?  At one point, they were easy to find on eBay, but rare nowadays.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
...done:

(Attachment Link)

...in the early 1970's, by Roco for Atlas. In 0 scale...sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Mark in Oregon

Perfected....in HO by Paul Lubliner (and Athearn)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
Well, when all those previous F3s and F7s came out in years gone by, I was not in N scale.  Now that I am, I welcome new versions with sound decoders and nice detail.  I expect that I will be buying some F3s and F7s in B&O paint.

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
They look like nice engine, but they had to go a ruin them by adding sound. :D
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »
The one thing that Kato seems to beat everyone on is spare parts. 

Except for Atlas ...