Author Topic: Weird Clicking Noise on N Scale Steamer (Model Power 2-6-0 Mogul)  (Read 1065 times)

johnjpeebles

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
    • PEEBS.ORG
Does anyone know what might be causing the noise on this brand new loco?  Going to contact the shop I purchased it from but if it's something simple, that would be preferable as I'm in the UK and had it shipped from the USA.  Frustrating as I got a similar American loco from the same manufacturer and it runs great (and has sound).

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: Weird Clicking Noise on N Scale Steamer (Model Power 2-6-0 Mogul)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:36:24 PM »
Possibly a burr on a gear.
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:56 PM »
Yes a burr on the gear or just a piece of debris in the gear.  Another possibility would be a side rod not quite in perfect quartering. That will have the side rod clicking rhythmically with wheel speed as it shows in the video.
Mark G.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
That sort of click does not strike me as a burr or debris in a gear.  Look in behind the valve sliders on each side and see if
the crankpin is hitting or getting caught on the slider as it passes behind it. 

If you could take some really close-up macro video at lower speed, it would make this easier to diagnose.

johnjpeebles

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
    • PEEBS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
OK, will get a close up tomorrow.  I also put one drop of very lightweight loco oil on the sliders to see if that helped, it didn't.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
I'm with Max on this John. I too think its something in the valve gear hitting. Try putting it in a cradle of foam and then put power to the wheels and see if you can look straight down on the drivers as they go around to see if something is hitting.

Jon

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
Seeing as how that doesn't have valve gear, pay attention to the possibility of the crankpin on the #1 driver being 'out' just a hair so that it is clipping either the crosshead or the main rod as it goes around.   May just be a matter of pushing it in further.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Yes a burr on the gear or just a piece of debris in the gear.  Another possibility would be a side rod not quite in perfect quartering. That will have the side rod clicking rhythmically with wheel speed as it shows in the video.

Generally I'd think that problem (side rod not quartered) would cause a lurch with each wheel revolution.  The video shows a smooth run (albeit noisy).  But collisions of valve gear parts don't always cause a lurch.