Author Topic: Where to get thin bubble wrap?  (Read 1120 times)

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
Where to get thin bubble wrap?
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
The kind that Kato and Atlas use in their loco boxes between the cover and the loco.  The "standard" ones that I have lying around is too thick.  (And hopefully you can get rather small quantity and not 100' roll!   :o)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Re: Where to get thin bubble wrap?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
+1
Order something from Shapeways?
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

migalyto

• Crew
  • Respect: +7

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
The one's I've seen are close to the HD bubble wrap I bought but that might've been a little thicker. The one I have is 3/16" thick so you're probably looking at that size or less to match the Kata/Atlas one used,

Phil
- Phil

MK

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
Thanks for the search.  The "standard" ones that I have, typically found at Staples, Walmart (including the Duck brand above), etc. are 3/16".  I *think* the ones that Kato/Atlas use is 1/8" (or thinner).  I have searched and searched from retail stores and the thinnest is 3/16"

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
Thanks for the search.  The "standard" ones that I have, typically found at Staples, Walmart (including the Duck brand above), etc. are 3/16".  I *think* the ones that Kato/Atlas use is 1/8" (or thinner).  I have searched and searched from retail stores and the thinnest is 3/16"

A quick Amazon search (don't forget to use the TRW link!) on 1/8" bubble wrap looks like you can get 1/8" bubble in "pouches". I'm sure those could be cut to give you a 1/8" bubble sheet (I saw 13"x13" pouches) for whatever you need them for,

Phil
- Phil

MK

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:29 PM »
Thanks Phil, I'll take a look.

I need only a few small pieces as I noticed about half a dozen on my loco boxes (all Atlas) are missing the bubble sheet.  I want to replace them so the locos are protected from the lid when stored in their boxes.